• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits catch Cryptosporidium for humans? Urgent!

They can get Cryptosporidium but I'm not sure if it's the same type as humans get...hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will be along soon

Yes they can. Cryptosporidium parvum. A confirmed diagnosis can be made by testing of faecal matter.

Last edited:
Yes, i think that they can be effected, but i think it depends on the type and strain of the cryptosporidium parasite.
Try googling it, loads of stuff comes up.

I think all sorts of mammals and also reptiles can catch it, so possibly rabbits, too. It's a bit related to Toxoplasmosis, I think.
Do you think that's what's making you ill?

Ensure that you maintain good hygeine, washing hands, use an apron which you only use for the rabbits which can be washed frequently (disposable even better) and wear disposable gloves until you are known to be clear.

I would have thought that if you prepare the meds and give them using disposable gloves, there is no way it could get into her system.

Poor you - it's one thing after another. :(

How did you get it?
Just thinking that it was about here in the tap water a while ago, just incase your buns drink the water

How did you get it?
Just thinking that it was about here in the tap water a while ago, just incase your buns drink the water

I have no idea, im the only one around here that has it... so i think i must have got it from somewhere else other than tap water.

The only information I found is this:

Coccidiosis - another protozoal parasitic infection - can also be dismissed as a human health concern. The species of coccidia found in rabbits are species specific and should not infect humans. A similar parasite, cryptosporidium, can affect both rabbits and humans (it causes a diarrhoeal illness) and theoretically spread from bunny to human. However, this is unlikely - you are more likely to catch cryptosporidium from inadequately treated domestic water supplies, or when travelling abroad.

So I guess if it could spread from bunny to human, it could go the other way as well. Not sure about cats and dogs, though, I think they have a different Cryptosporidium species. A lot of these parasites are quite host specific.
Have you been to a farm lately? Or maybe a child in your class was on a farm and got infected there? I am not sure how easily it gets transmitted from one person to another.
I hope you feel better soon, at least you know what it is now. :(

Only just got your PM Joanne.
So sorry you have such a nasty illness :cry:
AFAIK Cryptosporidia are transmitted via faecal matter so vigilant hand hygiene will mean any 'risk' to Polo would be negligable.

I hope you soon feel better. I suspect you'll get a call from Environmental Health as I think Cryptosporidium Enteritis in humans is a notifiable disease

Only just got your PM Joanne.
So sorry you have such a nasty illness :cry:
AFAIK Cryptosporidia are transmitted via faecal matter so vigilant hand hygiene will mean any 'risk' to Polo would be negligable.

I hope you soon feel better. I suspect you'll get a call from Environmental Health as I think Cryptosporidium Enteritis in humans is a notifiable disease

Already been Jane.. :oops:

I have had this, I got it from sheep and I was so ill with it. I had 4 rabbits at the time and handled them as usual because I didn't know what I had, but they were all fine and didn't get ill. As long as you keep your hands clean and disinfected then they should be fine.

Back