• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby bunny with top teeth behind the bottom!

marvy

Warren Scout
Hi, I was just wondering if any other members have this problem with their bunnies! I took my 2 to the vet today for 2nd jabs and I mentioned that I was concerned about the baby bunnies teeth. Her top incisors go behind her bottom incisors - meaning that they will not wear down. Has anyone on here found this with their bunnies and if so have their bunny had to have her top teeth removed?

this is caused by what is known as malocclusion. The inscisors usually wear down by gnawing at food..wood etc.....

maloclusion can be genetic or as a result of an injury or caused by molar spurs overgrowing and them eating or trying to eat and getting around not opening their mouths because of it and so the inscisors get deformed.

heres a reall good article...

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-6/tusks.html

our first bun had an injury caused by her water bottle holder breaking and the metal tube of her bottle breaking her tooh in half and knocking it from its socekt so it grew crooked. eventualy after having it trimmed alot the vet removed them and at first she was real sick but then learnt to suck posters on my daughters wall instead of chewing them to get ehr attention:lol:

she had alot dental probs including a dmaged jawbone etc..but havingher front teeth removed never posed a problem for her in everyday life..just she couldnt trash stuff as fast:lol:

mm forgot to ask where you got bun from..age of bun etc and what the vet told you..

if they said nothing apart from oh the teeth dont fit..then find another vet!
print articles out and take them along with you as this problem is going to make eating very very hard if not impossible for your bunny very very soon. thevet should have discussed options iwth oyu..checked the molars for tooth spurs..suggested looking for tooth spurs anyway and how to keep the teeth down.

http://www.lecoeurrabbitrescue.co.uk/from_top_to_tail.htm

please see vet again..youre bun is going to have probs eating anyway....

Last edited:
Hi, I was just wondering if any other members have this problem with their bunnies! I took my 2 to the vet today for 2nd jabs and I mentioned that I was concerned about the baby bunnies teeth. Her top incisors go behind her bottom incisors - meaning that they will not wear down. Has anyone on here found this with their bunnies and if so have their bunny had to have her top teeth removed?

She will need both sets of incisors removing. If you only remove the top ones the bottom ones will have nothing to rub against and will continue to grow up inot the roof of her mouth.

Rabbits generally manage very well without their front teeth. They just need there veg cutting up for them, but should be able to eat hay and pellets no problem

mm forgot to ask where you got bun from..age of bun etc and what the vet told you..

if they said nothing apart from oh the teeth dont fit..then find another vet!
print articles out and take them along with you as this problem is going to make eating very very hard if not impossible for your bunny very very soon. thevet should have discussed options iwth oyu..checked the molars for tooth spurs..suggested looking for tooth spurs anyway and how to keep the teeth down.

http://www.lecoeurrabbitrescue.co.uk/from_top_to_tail.htm

please see vet again..youre bun is going to have probs eating anyway....

Shes 18 weeks old and she is a french lop. My vet is brilliant and she explained that she may have to have her teeth removed etc. I just wondered if anyone else had had this problem with their bunnies.

Back