• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxmatosis Vaccination Question+Rant

Maizey

Wise Old Thumper
My bunnies were due their vaccinations this week.My vet is poorly and I had to see another vet,whom I was assured was compedent.(what a joke)!!! I took three bunnies in today.Willow went first,he was weighed and vaccinated,All of It in the skin.I asked why 10% wasnt put in the skin and was told that it wasnt Necessary.I said it was necessary and was told that was the way she always did her vaccinations.Honey was next.She looked down her ears with her eyes,no otoscope.Tried to look in her mouth,Honey flinched so that was the end of that.She then drew up the vaccination and I said,"are you going to put 10% in the skin?".The answer was NO.I then blew my top and told her,"You have just vaccinated,Willow and didnt check his heart,teeth or ears and you administered the vaccine incorectley and your not vaccinating Honey or Blue".She turned her back on me at this point Sod her.I then walked out with my bunnies and the vet nurse said Jane would be back next week and even though she was fully booked we will get you an appointment with her and appologise for the Spanish rubbish vet
My question Is will Willow still be covered fo Myxi even though she didint put 10% in his skin?

I'm so sorry :(

You did so well to stand up for your buns.

I don't know about whether or not he will be covered, maybe ask your vet next week if you don't get an answer here?

Thats appalling, but sadly the attitude of many vets, but thankfully not all of them.

Ethically and legally, a vet must not vaccinate an animal without a full health check. But when it comes to what are regarded as 'disposable' pets, this rule seems to fly out the window.

I recently gave up my career as a veterinary nurse,due to the attitude of the vets i worked for. Its seems some species are more important that others. Even though they essentially all have the same central nervous system, and same pain and emotional responses. The attitude to keeping small animals as pets, and their health treatment needs a serious look at.

As to whether you rabbit is fully protected, i cant answer that with 100% accuracy. It may be worth contacting the company that produces said vaccine and asking them, they will know the correct answer.

I know we used to have a terrible fight with one vet over whether or not vaccines could be kept out of the fridge for long periods of time and remain safe. Some vets are set in their ways, and some are trained differently in other countries.

My current vet (who gives them correctly) says that without the 10% being delivered into the skin the vaccine still works. It's just that putting a bit in the skin makes it a bit more effective. If she is being done 6 monthly already then I wouldn't worry about it.

AFAIK if you're worried you can have the 10% done next week and it should work the same.

Thank you very much for all your replies.They are all done six monthly as Bugsy has been on antibiotics His and Barlies vaccinations are three weeks overdue as I didn't want him being vaccinated when he already had Abx in his body.When I see my proper vet next week I will see what she says about putting 10% into Willows skin.I'm still cross this morning at the incompetence of this vet.I'm so glad that I found RU as It seems peoples rabbit knowledge on here is so helpful.

Back