• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can i have some advice. i have a mini dilemma

brightspark19

Warren Scout
My 2 dwarf rabbits have got a chalet home from p@h which they made as a special limited edition. it has a bedroom and small livving area upstairs and a bottom bit like a run which is open on concrete.

The 2 buns will not use their bed to sleep in, but instead use it as a toilet. I have tried sectioning off a bit to be used as littertray and put hay in the other half, but instead they just use the whole lot. I can not put a litter tray down stairs as the door of the run is too small to pull even a corner tray through, and i cant put them on grass as the burrowed under.

There is no other place to put the tray at the top bit is too small but with winter comingup, i dont want them to be using the bed as a place to pee or they will get cold.

i tried to get a pic of the hutch but couldnt find one.

Thanks for any ideas

It is a little hard to imagine your hutch set-up, but by the way you describe it, it sounds small for 2 buns.
I have found it probably easier to give in, and let the bunnies chose the spot they want to use as a toilet, and put a tray for them there, which is easier to keep clean, but it sounds like the area they have chosen is too small for a tray!
Is it possible to put a few paving slabs under the 'run' area, so they can run on it with no danger of digging out? You might be able to put a loo tray there, so they will eventually not go in the hutch.
Good luck with your potty-training!!

There is concrete under the run. i put it there to stop them diggin out. the whole area is paved but the run door is too small for a litter tray to get in and out.

The bed area is big enough for a tray, its actually quite big, but i dont want them using it as a toilet or they will get cold in winter.

As for size of the hutch, it is bigger than the sage house which is recommended as a dwarf rabbit hutch and they seem to have plenty of room

My 2 dwarf rabbits have got a chalet home from p@h which they made as a special limited edition. it has a bedroom and small livving area upstairs and a bottom bit like a run which is open on concrete.

The 2 buns will not use their bed to sleep in, but instead use it as a toilet. I have tried sectioning off a bit to be used as littertray and put hay in the other half, but instead they just use the whole lot. I can not put a litter tray down stairs as the door of the run is too small to pull even a corner tray through, and i cant put them on grass as the burrowed under.

There is no other place to put the tray at the top bit is too small but with winter comingup, i dont want them to be using the bed as a place to pee or they will get cold.

i tried to get a pic of the hutch but couldnt find one.

Thanks for any ideas

When you say dwarf, do you mean nethies or dwarf lops?

The hutch is very small and personally I wouldn't have used it for more than 1 pure nethie at a push or 2 guinea pigs. They look very cute, but aren't that practical I'm afraid.

There is concrete under the run. i put it there to stop them diggin out. the whole area is paved but the door is too small for a litter tray to get in and out.

The bed are is big enough for a tray, its actually quite big, but i dont want them using it as a toilet or they will get cold in winter.

As for ize of the hutch, it is bigger than the sage house which is recommended as a dwarf rabbit hutch and they seem to have plenty of room

The sage house is only recommended for dwarf nethies or guinea pigs due to the narrowness of the depth.

i didnt intend on gettin the hutch, my dad bought it for me and i couldnt really say no. they arent int he hutch 24/7, they have free run of the garden for about 6 hours a day and they are pure nethies

Back