• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head Weaving in White Bun?

FluffyBun

Warren Scout
I'm not new to keeping bunnies but have had a few years out. Recently, got back into it and picked up my new 5 month old angora. The breeder was great - I looked at all the rabbits, everyone looked healthy and happy, and nothing untoward. She spent ages teaching me how to give bun a haircut, too. The journey home at the weekend was quite a long one, and by the time we got home it was dark so we put bun straight to bed in her new hutch. The following morning, noticed her head was weaving from side to side - esp when she seems to be trying to look at things.

She seems fine in every other way. Is pooing, weeing normally and although a bit jumpy in her hutch... when we bring her out to groom her and play with her, the head weaving stops and she seems happy and fine. No fits, or trancing and she can move about normally. My instincts are that she isn't ill. She is booked into our vets tomorrow for her first vaccnation and will get a good check up then and I will mention to him.

But I have looked online and 'head weaving' seems to bring up 2 possibilities - EC but also I've found mention that albino rabbits and other small animals head weave if they've got poor vision.

I've ordered some 10% Panacur to be on the safe side. But as I say I don;t feel she is 'ill'. As I say she's seeing vet tomorrow so will see what they say but in the meantime - anyone else with a white rabbit seen this behaviour? I didn't see her (or any of the other white buns) doing this at the breeder's. But she is in a new environment where she is probably trying to keep alert and focussed on what's going on... any thoughts?

REW (red eyed whites) scan, which is they move their head side to side to get a better look at the world. Peppa in my sig she has poor vision , she is short sighted and scans. She is also quite jumpy, I talk to her so when I go in the run she knows it is me.

Has your bun got red eyes?

Aw ta for answering so fast! Yes she has pinky red eyes. All my instincts say she isn't ill so what you say makes me feel a bit more confident, thanks! I will photo her soon - she looks a bit punky at the moment as I'm not a great hairdresser yet!

just wanted to agree that short sighted rabbits very often this is rews..(red eyed whites) will scan which can look unusual and od but its just helping them get focus on things xx

I had a guy do this, although he was a sable, but they are historically genetically related to REWs. It can be unnerving to watch if you are not sure what it is, but hopefully it is a benign cause and due to vision problems as opposed to anything more sinister :)

Back