• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Photos of my Chickens...

... well after thinking and researching about getting chickens for a few months now I finally got some chickens at the weekend. So introducing:

Clara (a speckled star hybrid)
IMG_2673.jpg

Winnifred (a black star hybrid)
IMG_2676.jpg

Arabella (a bluebell hybrid)
IMG_2670.jpg

And finally a group shot - they all wanted the same bit of grass!
IMG_2672.jpg

This is my first time at owning chickens so I'm all new to it & have lots to learn. At the moment they are enclosed within the run/pen (which is 8ft x 16ft), inside of which is their coop. They have been very good so far and put themselves to bed each night. We intend to let them have free run of the garden once they have settled in.

Thanks for looking and feel free to offer any advise you have :D

Hannah

They are very good looking chickens..are they already layers?

They are not laying yet as they are a bit young, but hopefully should start laying in a few weeks, should lay in the region of 260 eggs in their first year.

They have not met the rabbits yet as they are currently opposite ends of the garden - although they would never be allowed free in the same area though...

I did think about getting ex-batts but for a few reasons went for these lot.

Hannah

:love: theyre gorgeous. Id love chickens one day :) Do they ruin the garden?? Will the grass eventually turn to mud?? And do they eat the plants :shock: :roll: :) xXx

:love: theyre gorgeous. Id love chickens one day :) Do they ruin the garden?? Will the grass eventually turn to mud?? And do they eat the plants :shock: :roll: :) xXx

I wish I knew the answers to all those questions. I don't know if they ruin the garden or not, to be honest we don't have a smart garden so it doesn't really matter. I think the grass will eventually turn to mud - I plan on putting a cover on the run to prevent too much mud. I will put woodchip down once it gets too muddy, then perhaps move the run when it is summer again - to give the ground a break and chance to recover etc. My boyfriend's mother has a few chickens and the run free range in the garden for a few hours each day and don't appear to have ruined it too much - only time will tell for us!

Is a bit of a learning curve for me, but it's fun :D

Hannah

I would so love to keep chucks - but living on a council estate its just not going to happen!

Back