• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Someone told me ...

Arkaidy

Young Bun
That I can get my rabbit to pee in a litter box but "you can't train a rodent to poop there". Is this true? I thought many on here have had luck with that.

Also, on a side note, I am trying to keep the bun off the bed as he pees all over it every time he jumps up there. When he gets on, do I stomp my feet and clap my hands, or simply shoo him off? Either way it will be something that i have to do over and over again. He'll be getting the snip next month.

Thanks for any advice!

Yes, you can train rabbits to poop in a litterpan. Many rodents (mice, rats, hamsters, etc) can be trained to pee and poop in litterpan, but rabbits aren't rodents anyway.

Rabbits can be litter trained to a certain degree. You will always get the odd pellet around the place but they do do most of their business in one place. Just make sure you place the litter tray where the rabbit wants it and is easy to get at.

Yup. Rabbits can be very trainable.

As for the bed, I would advise blocking it off completely, although some people have had good fortune with covering their bed with foiln (like baking foil). My buns, even the incredibly reliably litter trained ones will still go to the toilet on my bed, when given the chance, so I have now blocked it off which has sorted the problems.

That I can get my rabbit to pee in a litter box but "you can't train a rodent to poop there". Is this true? I thought many on here have had luck with that.

Also, on a side note, I am trying to keep the bun off the bed as he pees all over it every time he jumps up there. When he gets on, do I stomp my feet and clap my hands, or simply shoo him off? Either way it will be something that i have to do over and over again. He'll be getting the snip next month.

Thanks for any advice!

firstly ge thim neutered ..great i see that is in progress..give him around 4 -6 weeks for his hormones to settle. then the best way to do it is everytime he poops or wees put the sodden stuff or the poops into the litter tray then put him onto it so he realises thats where he meant to go sometimes just putting the poops there is enough. the fact he is peeing on the bed is probly spraying and this is to mark his territory he should decrease this and hopefully stop once neutered. i would se ehow the general poop in tray thing works.. and as for the statement rodents cant be litter trained. firstly rabbits are not rodents they are lagamorphs. and secondly yup rodents can be all my hamsters have alittle litter tray which they use.... (ps my buns are litter trained too!) :):)

Back