• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New rabbit just had babies

coffeegirl

New Kit
Hi I'm new here and new to bunnies. I found a bunny a few weeks ago and it seems she was pregnant because she gave birth last Friday.

There were 6 or 7 babies, I was doing a panic so didn't do a proper head count and by the time I calmed down, rang the Vet for advice, she had made a nest and covered them up. The next morning I saw 3 of them on of the nest and she was busy attending to them so I was worried about where the others were. I did some Googling so after I gave her a good pat, we had a look around the outside of the nesting area where we last saw the others. I found one dead, two stone cold but still alive. Long story short the other two are no longer with us.

Mum had the other three bunnies well hidden in her nest under her fur and I have seen her going in there. I'm not sure if there is a seventh unaccounted for and I was reluctant to go interfering anymore. I have read some people saying you have to check them, others say leave mum alone to take care of them, this was the Vets advice too to just leave them be.

I ended up having another look last night and found two bunnies that appeared to be growing and getting some fuzz but I was worried about the third (which was a lot smaller last time I looked) so I kept hunting around determined whilst I was in there to find the third and I did, under the others and it seems he was very warm but dead. I think he died a while ago because the size, no fur etc. and was just warm because the others were sitting on it. So now I'm down to 2 bunnies which is a sad but also happy because I hope we can keep these ones alive.

They are inside the house, mum has made a beautiful nest. There is shavings in the home which I made out of coreplast and C&C cages (guinea pig style). Because I own pigs and not rabbits, the rabbit was being housed in there until I could come up with a better housing situation. Now I've moved the pig out for now.

I'm reading online people dont use shavings for rabbits but rather than pull the home apart I think I'll leave it until the babies grow. The nest has lots of hay and fur, the shavings are under. How do I keep things clean for them? I have done a spot clean around the other side of the cage where the pig had been living and dirtied. Do I need to clean the rest or should I just leave it? When will they start to move around? When is a safe stage where the babies are no longer at risk of being abandoned by mum? When can I pick them up? Should I be doing anything? I would just appreciate some general advice on what I can expect to happen from here. I've heard/read contradictory information and especially about when to separate to avoid reproducing. Some say 6 weeks, others 3 mths./...that's a big difference but I dont want any more accidents.

I have never had an animal that has had babies so this is all a very new and unexpected experience for me. And not having owned rabbits before either it's all a learning curve but I think I'll keep the new additions.

Oh wow...

I really dont have any advice on mum and babies, other than to say good luck to them all.

All i would say and from experience, keep Guinea Pig separate from rabbits all the time. They really should not be kept together.

Hope mum and babies are doing well...

x

Hiya,

The babies will start coming out of the nest to wonder around and nibble on solids about 2.5 - 3 weeks old. At that point you can lift the clean top part of the nest up and remove all the soiled bedding from underneath. You can start handling the babies at this age too.

You need to seperate out the sexes at about 8 weeks, definitely before 10 weeks. It can vary a bit when they are fertile so that will make sure rather than leaving it 10+ and having an accidental pregnancy.

The males can be neutered as soon as their testicles drop, usually between 12-16 weeks but remain fertile for a few weeks after the op.

Tamsin

Back