• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need some info about Mxyomatosis

lcgoodac

Young Bun
My bunny is 5 and a half and she has never been vaccinated against anything, in fact she has never been to the vet, unlike her sister.

Do you think I should take her for a general check up and get her vaccinated?

With Maisy having a lot of problems and being put to sleep a week ago I feel I should do everything i can to ensure muffins health is tip top.

Lucy

I think you lose nothing by getting her vaccinated against both myxi and VHD (apart from a bit of money), but if you don't do it you could live to regret it.

The myxi vacc does not stop the rabbit getting myxi so you will still need to protect her against flies and fleas like normal. VHD does completely stop her getting the illness (which is a blessing given its almost a silent killer).

It is now recommended that Myxi is given every 6 months and VHD once a year. When they are given their jabs they should also do an MOT on your bunny.

Better to be safe than sorry. You will also see that over the last couple of weeks on here some buns have come down with myxi so it would be just as well to have her vaccinated asap.

My poor rabbit is suffering from Mxyi at the moment and I am trying hard to save his life. It is a truly awful disease and I would urge everyone to vaccinate.
I am, I admit, a novice owner so not sure if there is any age related problems with vaccinating.
I do know that at this time of year Mxyi is often rife.
My bunny was vaccinated but sadly he developed the disease 9 days after vaccination.
I will vaccinate my rabbits every 6 months against Mxyi whether it is about or not. I never want to see another animal go through this again.

I cant emphasise enough how important vaccinations are in bunnies!!! Get them done and they stand a good chance of survival if they are to get the disease. :D

A lot of bunnies getting myxi at the moment. For the sake of £20, I would definitely get your bunny vaccinated.

please vaccinate...rabbits can live between 8-14 years...so your bun tho older is not out of her prime yet. if she isnt speyed please do this also....myxi is so rife these days chelsea got myxi age 9yrs and survived (nodular form as she ahd been vaccs) i know she wouldnt have made it without the vaccs.(obviously mum and jason the vet get the credit in making her better but the vaccine gave her the chance to fight it)
she was poorly for 5 months and is now 10/11 years i cant remember and healthy and happy. please vaccinate xx

Back