• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

serious bad bunny behaviour

hey i have a black lop eared bunny called marmiet now she was very friendly and great i got her from a rescue center about 2 weeks ago but they let them run round with males and everything to me that seems weird they were all just put together now i have quiet a few rabbits and i never put males and females together oviously . now today i went to pik her up and she struggled like mad and went for my hand i put her in her run and all she has done is sit there , now i went to get her out and she went crazier then before she lashed out at my arm lookily she grabbed my jumper but she ragged my jumper around and tried biteing me and scratching me and was like grunting really loudly over and over and then she kept struggling and struggling and thumping and screeching she was making a right racket , and finally after four of us trying we managed to get her in her hut . what is wrong with my bunny ?????????

Which rescue centre was she from?? Never known a rescue to let male/females run round together :? Is she neutered? She sounds like a very very scared bunny to me :( Bunnies hate being picked up, she probably attacked you because of this. How old is she?

How old is she ? Sounds hormonal and frustrated, maybe it's time she was speyed as this will calm her down. It will also stop her getting uterine cancer when she is older.

Once she has been speyed and settled down you can possibly bond her with a neutered male.

Our doe is fine now, very friendly and we had her speyed last august at six months.

well she is about five months the place said , we got her from the ark which is a sort of dog and cat shelter which have a few other animals there two she is not neautured but she is very angry i tried giving her sumthing and she nocked it out of my hand and bite my finger . i just dont know what to do we rang the place up and they just said they didnt know and put the phone down , wierd !

5 Months = teenager :shock: Deffo time for her to be speyed. She will calm down lots.

She will still have her moments but on the whole she will be a better behaved bunny especially with a friend.

Yep, hormones are all over the place. She needs spaying asap :) It will really calm her down hopefully, made Lottie so much friendlier, she used to be like this too. Neutering may not stop it all, as like i say some bunnies dont like to be handled, they like all their feet on the ground. But it should help alot!! xXx

The other thing to think about (which I'm sure you are aware of) is that any rabbit from a rescue comes with a history. It might be that she can't deal with being handled or something, or it might be the whole upset and unsettlement of what was going on.

Hopefully with her hormones fixing and feeling more stable and patient with you, she will settle down :)

is there any possablitly of her being pregant and if so could that be what is causing her behaviour ? also one more thing at the shelter she wasnt looked after very well either and they didnt put her that much things in her hutch and now i have her she wont keep anything in her bedding bit i put her straw and things in and she just chucks them all out in her eating bit and there is nothing then left for her to sleep on why is this ?

If any of the bucks are unneutered or recently neutered then yes, there is a chance, which could make her act even worse.

If she is emptying her bed, I would let her do it, she will arrange it as she wants it (they ALWAYS know better than us :roll:), although, that could indicate she is getting ready to nest build. It might be worth taking her to the vets tomorrow so she can be palpated and maybe so you can discuss a spay and maybe how pregnant she is.

i really hope she isnt pregnant not to be horrible but i dont have a clue what im doing if she is pregnant i will take her tommorow . yes she throws it around and eats it, its more i dont want her to get cold .

saying that it wouldnt suprise me if she was we got a cat at the same time and we went to get her spayed and the vet ran out in the middle of surgery saying our cat is pregnant and she is so far gone that they are due in a couple of days yet they havent come yet we are waiting for her to drop, we rang them up about it and they laughed and said it was our problem now i couldnt belive it i was furious, she is only 6 months the cat and they have let her have two litters already . my poor bunny what have they done :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Try not to panic too much.

If it helps you to feel a bit more in control, then maybe look to getting a nest box. Anything like a shoe box, where the mum can get into, but the kits can't get out of, and then if she starts to show any sign of building a nest, place the nest in the nest box and put the box where she had built the nest. Hopefully, if that happens, then the kits will be born in a safe place, and not scattered. However, she is (hopefully) a first time mum, so it is likely they may not survive, especially as she is so young. She is young, so try not to panic yet. Rabbits can be spayed if they are not too pregnant, and even if she is pregnant, she might also reabsorb them back into her, and they can do that right up until she is close to kindling (labour) and given the upset and unsettlement of her moving, that is a very real possibility (it's sort of like a self miscarriage but not messy).

First step though, is to get her to a rabbit savvy vet for a check up.

I am sorry that the rescue has been so unhelpful to you. Hopefully once this hurdle is over with, you and your bunny can settle down to a long and happy life together :)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! She is pregnant poor thing i took her to the emergency vet in spilsby just got back the vet says she is about two weeks off having the babys and wouldnt opperate at that time , not sure what im ment to do now isnt this like a normal thing kindof do they do everything there selves or do u have to help , all the vet said was keep her well fed and warm and comfort her but how am i ment to keep her warm when she wont have anything in her bed :( do u have to be there and help or anything ? im waiting for my cat to give birth and i had a talk through of what to do if anything goes wrong is there anything like that for bunnys? :?

Oh no :( Thats awful, what a poor bunny. id get back in touch with the rescue, its not normally like a rescue to sell a pregnant bunny :( As for the pregnancy and birth i think she will just get on with it by herself, ive not had any experience with baby bunnies.

It explains her bad behaviour and her moving her bedding etc. Shes probably getting ready to nest. I wouldnt keep putting the bedding back in as she'll arrange it as she wants it as bunnies do :roll: They hate things neat and tidy :lol: I really hope shes going to be ok, keep us updated xXx

she is even more stoppy today i put her sum food in and she threw it all back at me dry food aswell :( also i rang the rescue up and they said its not there problem i have signed for the bunny so its mine and they cant do anything after i have taken it :? also i have found two bunnys today in a box in a bus shelter saying free to a good home how cruel leaving sum bunnys there , there now safe home with me in a nice new hutch and im sure are much happier its so supriseing how cruel some people can be its makes me so :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:
i dont know i want to do the best for my bunny but she wont let me near her or to feed her and just picks up her food and chucks it at the hutch door do u think she is going to be alright ? im worried poor thing she is having to deal with having somone new around her and pregnancy at the same time poor baby :cry:

Hi there,

I'm glad you rescued the bunnies in the box & sorry to hear about what must be a really :censored: rescue to palm a pregnant bunny off you. If you post your area a rescue or an experienced breeder might be able to come and have a look at your set up & help you get the things you need & also sex your buns in a box so you don't end up with another lot.

I'm so sorry to hear about your predicament. I'm afraid I can't give any advice about pregnant buns but just to say there are loads of people on here who have a vast knowledge and who I'm sure will help you through it. We are all here to give you all the support you need - even if it's just to have a rant! The behaviour of the 'rescue' is :evil:

I am absolutely shocked by this rescue! They are suppose to help combat the problem of too many unwanted bunnies (well, all animals) - not add to it!!!:censored:

Well done you for taking in those bus shelter bunnies!

Can I suggest you post a new thread in one of the other sections to get help with your pregnant bun? People who could help might miss this thread because of the title and section it's under?

Sorry if you have already done this - I haven't checked!

Good luck!
Lea. x

kisses

:wave:
not sure if i'm in the right part of the forum for this but do you think that bunnies know that giving them kisses is a sign of love or does Lolly think that i'm mad??

when he's chilled out, like a furry puddle, he accepts kisses on the head, when he's not so chilled he dos'nt seem to mind them on his 'kissy spot' - one of his little grey splodge markings on his back.

he likes to nudge me so maybe thats a buns kiss??

emily

Back