• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Treating the inside of a hutch and mould

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
Two questions :)

When Buu goes to the toilet she is kind of peeing up the side of her hutch too. Im washing it but im worried that the wood is going to rot getting wet all the time in the same place. She is always using her tray and not peeing on the floor, its just this one bit of the wall im worried about. Has anyone treated the inside of a hutch and what with? The outside of my hutches are all treated with animal friendly paint

Also when I stuck my head in the hutch today I looked up and noticed mould on the ceiling of her hutch :( Checked the others and there isnt any. I think it might be because Beau's hutch is above hers? :? He is using his litter tray too so his floor isnt getting wet. How can I get the mould off? :oops: Ive no idea what to clean it with and does anyone else get it in their hutches?

i use a cage cleaner or bleach but wash it over afterwards.. tho i havent seen mould in my hutch i have to celan where arthur still sprays a bit. have you tried the corner litter trays with the high sides?

My buns throw those trays about like they are toys, Buu is a big girl too I doubt she would be able to fit her bum in one of them trays now :lol:

Im cleaning it with hot soapy water everyday where she is peeing on the wall, I dont think I am going to stop her doing it. I cant complain she is brilliant with using her tray, I dont mind cleaning it I just dont want the wood to rot :( They all have large cat trays, I dont think I will find one with higher sides :? x

Vinegar is very good at getting rid of the mould spores, failing that bleach. When using bleach ensure that it is well vintilated prior to putting your buns back in it.

erm.. I painted the inside of the hutch too. Not sure if I was supposed to do that, but it definitely prevents mould and rot.

erm.. I painted the inside of the hutch too. Not sure if I was supposed to do that, but it definitely prevents mould and rot.

Thanks, im not sure if its ok either :oops: Maybe once I reomve the mould I will paint her ceiling, she cant reach and chew that. Im not sure if its ok to paint the wall she is peeing on though

I'm about to paint the inside of my hutch...I cant see a problem with it as long as the hutch is totally dry, otherwise you will seal moisture in and it will rot from the inside out.

couldnt you line the walls with vinyl in the same way people line the floors?

Thanks hun, I think I will paint it. Thinking about it now Buu had access to the outside of her old hutch which was painted all the time so its not really any different to that :)

I think if I start sticking things to the walls its going to be more likely she does start chewing and trying to pull it off :shock: :lol: x

Those cat litter trays which come in two halves and clip together are good for buns who pee too high for normal trays.

Re. the mould...good ventilation is the most important thing for stopping mould growing.

Is there any reason why the ventilation might not be good? For instance is the hutch in a shed/garage? or do you leave it covered up a lot?

I thought about those trays and I do use them in the runs, but at the moment Buu is shut in her hutch at night and I dont want to restrict the amount of space she has to jump about really if you get what I mean :) I might go and look at storage boxes tomorrow though I think they may have higher sides than the trays im using

Nope the ventilation is fine I think, Beau's hutch is right above hers and there is none in his :? Its outside and not in a very sheltered place. The hutch hasnt been covered at all really, when its been windy or light rain I use the shutters but only on the middle door. Actually its wierd because the mould has grown on the side I dont use the shutters on :? In heavy rain I have a sheet I put over the hutch but its fairly loose and kind of blows about especially at the bottom which is Buu's hutch, but ive only needed to use it a couple of times so far since having the hutch x

is his hutch literally standing on top of hers?

that would cut down the ventilation surely.... i would have to see it to be sure though

is his hutch literally standing on top of hers?

that would cut down the ventilation surely.... i would have to see it to be sure though

I think it's a double hutch, rather than 2 hutches on top of each other. I've got a double hutch of the same make, but I haven't noticed any mould on mine (I will have a good check tomorrow though)

This is the hutch

DSC07997.jpg

Beau is on the top and Buu is on the bottom :) The mould is on the ceiling of the bottom hutch, on the end with the mesh door, its only a tiny bit and there is none on the closed off part. And the floor of the top hutch isnt wet at all so im not really sure how its growing there

Back