• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Meet Termite Frank

TermiteFrank

Wise Old Thumper
Frank is the newest member of my family. He's a very cute grey dwarf lop with what looks like paler harlequin markings just on his left rear leg.

Poor lad has spent at least 6 months of his life sat in a tiny 4 foot hutch, being fed/cleaned out when people remembered (not very often) and constantly had an empty water bottle as his owner said he'd only drink it a pee all over his hutch. I thought that was particularly awful as how would his owner like to have been denied a drink when thirsty? Frank had chewed through the back of his hutch in frustration and it rained in and soaked the bedding regularly. His sister was lucky enough to have a larger 2 tier hutch with a cover and not be facing into the prevailing wind. Usual story - they'd been bought for the grandkids who had lost interest about 2 weeks after the rabbits arrived.

Sadly, their owner died suddenly, but luckily the bunnies had a guardian angel looking out for them and they weren't left to starve to death in a bleak yard (the fate of at least two bunny predecessors and a guinea pig when the person was alive). The female rabbit has gone to a nice family who have split the hutch in half and have their guinea pig in the top and the bunny in the bottom with an attached run for her.

And Frank the Termite? Well, he was only being fostered as I didn't want a rabbit. But it was obvious he was stopping when the day after her arrived I fitted out the dog kennel (that's only ever been used as a storage shed) so he has the 6 x 4 run part. I've had two people offer him a home, but I'm not having him shoved back in a hutch and ignored once the kids get bored. As it is he at least gets a bit of quality time with me to binky round the yard in the afternoon and is fed twice a day. He's also happily remodelling the interior of his run (hence termite), but I think I'll have to stop his fun with some strategically placed mesh as he's almost halfway through one of the supporting struts already!

He's off for his Myxi vaccination next week and hopefully in due time he will be neutered and I can get him a wife from rescue in the new year.

Look at him - how could anybody resist that face?

Frank.jpg

Yeah - I'm a sucker for any animal in need. :lol: I think every animal but one in the last two decades has been second hand, a rescue or in trouble and needed help.

That binky in the yard was probably the first he'd done in a long time :).

Well done and welcome to you and Frank.

wh yare people so cruel he looks similar tho lighter in colour to my arhtur who was also kept in a small hutch but a 2ft one. he was fed only bread and potatoe peelings and as a result has bad teeth which seem to be improving with diet and was skin and bone... he is now with dora and very happy he binkys the most i ever did see adn loves the 6x3ft hutch they have! they have run time ... why do people treat animals especially bunnys so badly il never know but weell done you for taking him in xx

Just want to say thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I thought you might like to see a video of a very happy Frank binkying round the yard (excuse the junk - in the middle of a tidy up for winter).

wh yare people so cruel he looks similar tho lighter in colour to my arhtur who was also kept in a small hutch but a 2ft one. he was fed only bread and potatoe peelings and as a result has bad teeth which seem to be improving with diet and was skin and bone... he is now with dora and very happy he binkys the most i ever did see adn loves the 6x3ft hutch they have! they have run time ... why do people treat animals especially bunnys so badly il never know but weell done you for taking him in xx

Poor Arthur - he sounds like he's landed on his feet now. I don't know why or how some people do what they do to innocent creatures. Sadly rabbits aren't as vocal as cats or dogs so they suffer in silence.

Back