• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding - another Question

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
I've never had to bond before - only got 1 rabbit and this is my first.....

When you have start putting them together do they then stay together all the time? Like at night as well.... How long can they be apart before the bond is broken again - e.g. if one had to go overnight to the vets etc?

I'm thinking of getting another bun but am sooo scared in case it doesn't work.

right when you first bond them you need both buns to be nuetered. put them in a nuetral area that is reasonably small... neutralise by cleaning with white vinegar spray 99p from wilko. leave them togethere theree will be fur pulling chasing and nipping and this will probly last a few days. dont seperate over night if one goes to the vet they both go to the vet even if its overnight. make sure that all toys and water bowls food dish etc are also neutralised. alternativly if you a re nervous about doing it take your bun to arescue and let them choose thier partner to be via speed dating.. .then leave your bun there to be bonded by the rescue. in a few days you can picky them both up and take home in same carrier which will strengthen the bond. basically it saves you a whole lot of stress andif i fight does break out they wil see it coming and stop it before any injury does occour. also remember that just cuz a bun wont bond with 1 bunny it may like another. and ideally a m/f bond usually is easiest. um anyhing else... iv prob forgotten something important but never mind!!! if i remember anything i will add it later.

hi

If the idea is that you want them to be friends then yes keep together all the time. Otherwise you will be confusing them seperating them. That is once you know that they are ok together.
When going to vets we do only take 1 but I read that it is best to take them together as apparantly they may forget about the other or the other may smell different and they wont recognise them. I however dont think buns are that stupid! Mine run to greet each other when ones been to vets.

When going to vets we do only take 1 but I read that it is best to take them together as apparantly they may forget about the other or the other may smell different and they wont recognise them. I however dont think buns are that stupid! Mine run to greet each other when ones been to vets.

Rabbits should always be taken where ever they go together. There are two reasons, firstly the most important one is that they find going anywhere stressful, when stressed they are more prone to gut stasis, auto immune problems etc, if they go with a bunny friend they are less stressed and less prone to stress related problems.

The second reason is that when going to the vets, rabbits can end up having some of the smells related to the vets transferred on to them particuarly if they are undergoing surgery or if handled a lot by the vet. If a bunny friend is allowed to go with them and the rabbit which has been treated is put back in with them soon after they have been operated on they are more than likely to not reject the other rabbit as they smell differently. It is not just to do with sight recognition it is also to do with all the sences.

Thanks so much for your help. You guys are great on here. I think I may get the next one from a rescue and have them bond them. :lol: I'm chicken.

you're not the only chiciken!!

:wave:
i'm chicken too, but i like the idea of speed dating bunnies at the rescue centre!!
emily

Hi

So, do you even take the partner of the rabbit when one rabbit is very ill or going for an operation? Do most vets allow this? I bet they at least charge extra boarding(???).

Lynsey

Hi

So, do you even take the partner of the rabbit when one rabbit is very ill or going for an operation? Do most vets allow this? I bet they at least charge extra boarding(???).

Lynsey

no they dont charge extra boarding dora has gone with arthur to be neutered(she is already speyed an needs nothing done) most vets will happily allow them to come in together regardless of what is wrong unless there is a high risk of it being passed on.. general check ups dora always goes with arthur and vice verser..their jabs are due different dates but tehy go together..dora frets terribly if she doesnt know where he is (probly due to loss of snowy) and he often follows her around they re calmer and less stressed when together so recover better xx

Back