• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Frank not well - advice? :-( U/D again

Emm-Jane76

Mama Doe
Frank did not eat any brekkie this morning and he looks a bit sorry for himself. I am not actually at work at the mo so I am getting this news from my OH who is at home which is frustrating enough.

I have told him to put them all outside as this tends to pep him up a bit. OH has just told me he is just lounged out again. Told him to keep an eye on him and see if he can spot him eating.

I am hoping to get off work a bit earlier at 2.30 ish.

How long does he not have to eat for me to worry? He did eat his supper last night.

A worried Emma :(

Last edited:
Well, I would say that any rabbit that can't be tempted to eat is a worry and needs a vet ASAP.

Ask your OH to try to get him to wander a round a bit, he may eat a bit of grass if he is outside but I would probably try to get him an appointment with the emergency vet today. You can always cancel if he starts eating before you are due to go but if he hasn't eaten since his supper last night, that's a long time without food.

Yes, I agree - I would take the bun to an emergency vet as soon as you're able to. Also, I wouldn't have him outside as, if he's in stasis, he will be losing body temperature.

My partner has just bought Frank into the warm and I've told him to try and syring him some cooled boiled water. I have also made an appointment at the vets this afternoon at 4.45 pm.

Yes, definitely plenty of the water. If you've got any peppermint tea, that's good too - obviously cooled.

Best of luck. x

My bunny did this too. Like you I knew something was wrong when he didnt eat breakfast he just sat up the corner. Id remembered things id read of here and tried to get him to run around inside but he wouldnt. He went to see the emergency vet (it was bank holiday monday:roll:) and it took 3 days but he got there. Is there any chance your partner could take him to an earlier appointment? Sending vibes for him .*~*~*~

Just had phone call from OH. He has apparently started to nibble a bit. Had some brocolli and few treaty things. Am going to pick him some dandelions on my way home because I know he can't resist them. Am hoping to get off work in about half an hour. It's driving me mad not being there. If he continues to eat and is pooing then could I perhaps take him to the vets in the morning or continue with the appointment tonight?

Great news about the eating. :) What you need to know is if he's pooed though - that's more important than the eating. I would imagine he probably has if he's started nibbling, but that's what you need to check before deciding about the vet.

He had pooed yes. They are a little however and a bit dark but nothing too unusual. I didn't take him to the vets this evening as he is pooing and eating. He looks quite perky aswell - I'm going to take him in the morning anyway just to have him checked out though. I'm going to keep him indoors tonight in the warm aswell.

Thanks for all your help - I really appreciate it. Haven't dealt with stasis before.

Lets keep paws crossed x

Update for you all. Frank contined to eat and poo through the night but I still took him to the vets this morning.

Vet gave him a thorough check. Checked his tummy which was nice and soft and he could feel some poo in his tummy. He checked his temperature which was spot on. Checked his teeth - he has a few shards that we were already aware of. Also checked his chest which was clear. Checked his eyes and put a bit of dye on them to check his tear ducts. Apparently you are supposed to see a bit of dye come out of his nose but that didn't happen. Vet seemed to think it may be a mild form of EC. Difficult to tell however. He has given me some baytril and some SS in case he stops eating again or I feel he needs some extra nutrients and just for me to monitor him. Does that sound about right to you! He hasn't had any neurological symptoms i.e. head tilt or difficulty in his balance.

I am going to keep him indoor for a couple of days just so that I can monitor his pooing and eating and give him some TLC. He's outside seeing his brothers and sisters at the moment for an hour - this seems to have pepped him up x

That sounds very odd... Baytril (an antibiotic) in case he stops eating again? :? I would personally never give Baytril to a bunny in stasis - it's bottom of the list of drugs to be given in cases of stasis, in my view.

And if he suspects EC, you should have been given Panacur or Lapizole to give. :? Both are non-prescription, so you can actually buy them yourself online or Panacur at Pets at Home.

Back