• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

abscess return

madysmummy

Mama Doe
think madymoo's abscess has returned ! its in a slightly different place, higher up than it was but its def soft on the right side of her cheek :( so off to the vet tomorrow. she's eating fine and blinking round.

oh no poor Mady. Did she have it treated with depocillin before?

no baytril. just checked her over and she's wet around the mouth :( its always on a sunday. however she's running in the garden happy as larry and eating well. so shall call vet first thing tomorrow and run her down.

Oh good luck tomorrow. Peppers is down at the vets tomorrow to have his abscess checked. I hate the things, they keep trying to come back. We have been at war with his since January. Good luck!:D

Nibbles and Zippy both get abcesses that come back, try not to worry too much. XXXX

Nibbles and Zippy both get abcesses that come back, try not to worry too much. XXXX

Are they on depocillin full time? I only ask because I think if Hobbes had stayed on his depo injections once a week the abscess wouldn't have returned and he might still be here :(

Are they on depocillin full time? I only ask because I think if Hobbes had stayed on his depo injections once a week the abscess wouldn't have returned and he might still be here :(

no - to my knowledge she's never had that - what is it ? got to take her at 5pm so might ask the vet about it ?

My Maisy suffered with a jaw abscess about 5 months ago. We first noticed something wrong when she was all wet under her chin so we took her to the vert and she found lump under her jaw. She operated on her but said it was worse than she thought and it would come back.

The abscess came back virtually straight away and it was much bigger.

Maisy was put down last week. She was still eating and drinking, but she was struggling and i couldn't see her suffer.

no - to my knowledge she's never had that - what is it ? got to take her at 5pm so might ask the vet about it ?

I think its penicillin.
When Hobbes first had his abscess he had an injection of it every 3 days for 4 weeks and then every 5 days for 8 weeks. The abscess cleared up but came back a few weeks later and he had the same treatment.
The vet did say at that point that it might be best to leave him permenantly on the depocillin having one injection every week but she wanted to see if he could manage without it.
The abscess then came back a third time and he died a week after treatment started again. I feel if he had stayed on the depocillin injection once a week the abscess wouldn't have come back and I might have had him for a bit longer :(

Back