• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

OMG think TJ has stasis!- he's home

wiggie

Alpha Buck
Have just rung the emergency vet and he's meeting me at the surgery at 10. I went in the garage to feed them all and TJ wouldn't touch any food. He did have one hay based "naturals" treat this morning. He has been on a grass only diet for a week as suggested by the vet following a dental the week before but the weight dropped off him so I gave him some hay based treats and veg which he wolfed down yesterday. He ate loads of weeds and grass as well (he is used to grass just not exclusively). Now he is just sat. every so often he stretches out his tummy which he wouldn't normally do. I can't feel any blockages in his tummy but he feels so thin:shock:. What have I done?!? I feel so guilty. . .I should have just given him pellets and be done with it. Could really use some vibes.:cry:

Last edited:
Hope all is well with TJ.

I have never heard of a grass only diet after dentals :? What did TJ have done to his teeth?

He won't eat hay AT ALL. he used to have the occasional nibble on some hay so I thought having the dental would make eating hay more comfy and so he may start eating it again, but nothing since the dental either. Before the dental we tried cutting down pellets, different hays, mixing it in with pellets/grass. Nothing has worked. He doesn't eat much grass normally but WILL eat it hence going for grass instead of hay. he is also on long term abx for an infection in his jaw which I'm sure hasn't helped his gut.

Sorry for being stroppy. . .just worried. TJ is staying at the vets tonight. Guess we will just have to wait and see. x

Hope he is OK, he is in the best place at the moment. One of mine will not eat hay whatever I try so you are not alone (he is a dental bun too:roll:).

I hope you and TJ are both ok.

I had a guy stop eating hay (for different reasons), but have you tried fibreplex to keep his gut moving?

I hope he comes out of this blip quickly.

I hope you and TJ are both ok.

I had a guy stop eating hay (for different reasons), but have you tried fibreplex to keep his gut moving?

I hope he comes out of this blip quickly.
I haven't. This is all a new experience:roll:. Will definately mention it to the vet though. I really hope it is a blip! Thanks x
Also thanks for everyones vibes!

I hope he improves over night. Could he be in pain from his jaw and need pain relief? Does he have an abscess which is receiving treatment?

Hoping you get some good news in the morning.

My bunny is called TJ.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. TJ is now eating again and is coming home later! Can't wait to see him!
Raine he doesn't have an abscess but the vet thinks he was close to it from the x-rays. Also he has been on metacam 2x daily for the last 2 weeks as well as antibiotics so hopefully hasn't been too uncomfortable.
x

Oh good! It's good he is eating :D

Is there a plan for what to do next? I'm going to sound stupid, but what is he on the metacam for? Is that for the infection? How is that going?

Did you ask about Fibreplex?

My plan for next is to keep him inside to keep an eye on him and exactly what he's eating, and to get his weight up. The vet said he is rather partial to the syringe food they have been giving him and suggested putting some on some hay to encourage him to eat it. This in my mind though has to come second to ensuring he is eating adequately, and if pellets and veg are what he will eat then so be it for now. we have an appointment to see the vet next tues anyway so reveiw then I guess.
He was put on the metacam following the dental for this and the infection in his jaw. I just carried it on although he probably didn't need it as much this week. The appt next tues was to review progress with regard to this so hopefully will know more then.
I haven't asked about fibreplex but will when I pick him up. I am working nights at the moment and the vet rang when I was asleep this afternoon so I wasn't really with it when I was talking to him :oops:.
Will hopefully know more when I pick him up.
x

He's home and looking brighter, He's had some oxbow critical care food by syringe and since has had some pellets and greens. No hay though:roll:. He's peeing pooing and drinking as well. I asked about fibreplex but as he's eating well they didn't think it was necessary. Just glad to have him home
x

I'm glad he is home.

Fibreplex helps in that if he is not eating enough hay his gut will not be getting enough fibre to work properly, so the fibreplex can help even if he is eating a load of other stuff. Just bear it in mind for the future :)

Hopefully he will stay healthy with no problems.

It feels so good to have them home after a trauma like this doesn't it.

Back