• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Will bonny get better?

I picked up bonny from the vets today, she still has very limited mobility. She has control of her head and a bit of her front paws but other than that that's it.

We still don't know if its the e cuniculi which has caused it or a severe infection. she relaying on us to do everything (we're even helping her to empty her bladder) and this i dont mind.

my one question is though will she get better? i see her so helpless and yet fighting through and i'm fighting right there with her. don't get me wrong i don't expect to ever know this answer. However there's a part of me which would like to hear about other peoples situations. Is there light at the end of the tunnel, will she improve enough to have a good quality of life. I'm trying every trick in the book. And i'm hoping that thats whats she want me to do.

she off the pain killers (metacam) now because of the kidney damage. I wanted something else instead just in case but the vet wasn't very forth coming and said that she appeared fine and would rather not give them because of how they effect the kidneys and because they'd make her drowsy. admittedly she's not very alert now.

I love her so much and want to do the right thing. i don't like seeing an animal suffer. the only improvement so far has been the fact that her temperature is now normal.

Any one have any advice??

gem

I don't have any real advice, but I know a couple of people who went through hell when their bun had active EC, and they managed to limit some of the sypmtoms and improve them, but the bun just deteriorated with time.

t was tragic to watch, but when you know a bun is seriously ill you can give them the world to encourage them to keep fighting.

We had a terminally ill bun and he was only supposed to live abouty 4 weeks after diagnosis, but we got him to 6 just by giving him everything in the world he could want, and more, and he kept fighting, and he was still fighting at the end. So I would say that if you spoil her rotten then you give her absolutely the best chance possible.

Looking after the buns that we do we have encountered problems like this a lot:(

I cannot say for certain that Bonny will get better but we always say that if they are fighting then we will fight with them. We also give them everything that they want and smother them with love - as we don't know how long we will have with them:(

If Bonny does not seem in pain and is eating then that is all you can do - we have had buns like this who lasted a year or more and lived very happy content lives, even though their mobility was severely restricted:love:

If you can you can see if she is happy in a larger dog bed with vetbed in it, she may feel nice and comfy and warm :) We do the bladder on our ones at least twice a day and sometimes, just now and again, there is a little leak but thats fine :)

When buns are very poorly they are usually more receptive to wild foods such as grass, dandies, clover and milk thistle - they like to eat them as they are usually trying to find a cure for whatever it is that ails them. It's good that they do this as it shows that they are trying to get better and this is where their wild instincts take over.

Very light massage will help her and also massage the limbs - plenty of fluids will be good for her and her kidneys.

I wish I could see some pics of her - she sounds adorable:love:

I am sending all the vibes that I can muster for her and positive vibes for you as well - xxxxxxxxxxx

I picked up bonny from the vets today, she still has very limited mobility. She has control of her head and a bit of her front paws but other than that that's it.

We still don't know if its the e cuniculi which has caused it or a severe infection. she relaying on us to do everything (we're even helping her to empty her bladder) and this i dont mind.

my one question is though will she get better? i see her so helpless and yet fighting through and i'm fighting right there with her. don't get me wrong i don't expect to ever know this answer. However there's a part of me which would like to hear about other peoples situations. Is there light at the end of the tunnel, will she improve enough to have a good quality of life. I'm trying every trick in the book. And i'm hoping that thats whats she want me to do.

she off the pain killers (metacam) now because of the kidney damage. I wanted something else instead just in case but the vet wasn't very forth coming and said that she appeared fine and would rather not give them because of how they effect the kidneys and because they'd make her drowsy. admittedly she's not very alert now.

I love her so much and want to do the right thing. i don't like seeing an animal suffer. the only improvement so far has been the fact that her temperature is now normal.

Any one have any advice??

gem

Is she willing to eat for herself?

I assume a blood test has been taken and that is why 'Kidney Damage' is mentioned :?

What treatment is she on?

Is she willing to eat for herself?

I assume a blood test has been taken and that is why 'Kidney Damage' is mentioned

What treatment is she on?

she's been on marbocyl 2ml for the last four days and she's having lapiszole daily for the last four days also.

we aren't yet sure if it's EC because we haven't had those result yet. she's eating some veg and hay with encouragement but hates her syringe feed. I've notice her breathing is quicker that what it should be and she does grind her teeth occasionally.

I'm now debating whether to give her some other form of pain relief, however the ones mentioned by my vet will make her drowsy. considering that she's very quiet and almost out of it anyway i'm inclined not to give her them. obviously if she was in pain then i know this would also be how she deals with it. i'm not sure what to do for the best, what would you recommend.

If she needs pain relief could you give it to her and stimulate her in a pleasurable way? Like with our terminally ill bunny, when he was rough we would allow a girlie friend to be around with him (he has lost his brother a few months previous after 8 years together), which always livened him up and gave him more os a zest for life. Any chance you could find a way to appeal to her want to be awake?

If she needs pain relief, then it might be worth giving it regardless because of the bodies response to pain and how it shuts down when in pain, so maybe making her dopey but not in pain might actually work out better in the long run? I am just sounding out an idea there, not advising.

she's now tucking into some celery & brocoli, her breathing is still a bit too quick and there's the odd tooth grind.

there's the added stress of her having to take another journey in the car because my vet won't let me inject her myself. it isn't rocket science i know.
i took her in the garden earlier and that perked her up, but she then decided to try and move and became demotivated with the fact that her body isn't working as it should.

i had had her booked in to be spayed so she could be bonded with the others. but i doubt if that will be possible. plus we have to keep her separate just in case. I really don't understand why she can't have metacam. it's in the cupboard, surely it won't do damage, she was on a drip up untill 4pm today so she's not dehydrated

Last edited:
really not good at all despite her having the pain relief last night she grinded her teeth all night.

we're considering helping her along to the rainbow bridge. i haven't got much hope that she'll get through this. yet her body won't give in. if there's a slight chance she'll pull through i love that to be the case. but i don't want to see her suffer.:cry::cry::cry::cry:

we're hoping we can ask the vet if she come to the house so it can happen at home in the garden, where she's happy.

am i doing the right thing jack's jane. do you think there's hope

really not good at all despite her having the pain relief last night she grinded her teeth all night.

we're considering helping her along to the rainbow bridge. i haven't got much hope that she'll get through this. yet her body won't give in. if there's a slight chance she'll pull through i love that to be the case. but i don't want to see her suffer.:cry::cry::cry::cry:

we're hoping we can ask the vet if she come to the house so it can happen at home in the garden, where she's happy.

am i doing the right thing jack's jane. do you think there's hope

Oh poor Bonny :cry:

It does sound as though she is in alot of pain even with analgesia :cry:
As she had such a high temperature I am wondering if she has a brain abscess which has ruptured :?
If so its highly unlikely she can survive as the toxins from a ruptured abscess will go all over her body :cry: Obviously I dont know that this is what has happened, I can only guess.
My personal opinion is if she is refusing food and her pain is not able to be controlled with medication (often more than Metacam is needed eg an opiate like Vetergesic or Torbugesic aswell as Metacam) then I would have to let her go :cry:

I would ask the Vet to call and take another look at her this morning.

Wish I were nearer and could be more helpful :cry:

Please give Bonny a gentle noserub from me

xx

she had an xray but nothing was mentioned about that, she also will hold her head up a little. she had a very strong pain killer last night not the metacam. i think its one of the ones you mentioned. the only thing were sure of is the fact she got kidney damage, we were told she's not in kidney failure but very ill. she doesn't wee by herself yet

Poor Bonny. :( I'm not experienced enough to give you any advice, but hopefully the vet will be able to advise you as to how much pain she is in right now and what her chances are so that you can make an informed decision about what to do. (((hugs)))

gems hubby

gems just had to pop out to work now, which im sure you've guessed was so hard to do. she made up a bed on the floor next to Bonny last night so she could be with her all night:)

Bonny is such a fighter, when we took her out yesterday in the garden straight away she wanted to jump up and hop about, but there was nothing there. she tries so hard and we're doing everything, but i think that maybe its time to say goodbye:angel::cry:

i just wish we had had the time to bond her with Roxy and Obi, thats all we wanted, but it just seemed like someone didnt want us to.

Oh gosh! this is so very sad, I had exactly the same thing with Bob about 16 months ago and we tried everything for him, I was given some wonderful advice from Jay and Jane but sadly there was nothing that could be done and then he couldn't fight anymore and we helped him to the bridge:cry::cry:

I am so very sorry that you are going through this, I wish I could be more positive for you, I'm thinking about you

The only other thing is did she improve as far as mobility is concerned whilst on the drip?
The fluids used contain potassium. Could potassium deficiency be involved :?

I am sure the Vet will give you the best advice. Sometimes we cant make a Bunny better however hard we try

:cry:

Back