• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am allergic to Huppie! Help!

huppie

Mama Doe
Hi all

I have had Huppie since the beginning of June, we are getting her a friend next Saturday. Yesterday I went to the optician to get my eyes checked. My eyes have been watering a lot and are itchy and tired etc. I assumed that they were in need of stronger glasses. Nope, my eyes are good and healthy and the same strength as before. I asked the dude why I might be having issues and he said 'it is probably an allergic reaction, has anything in your environment changed lately?'

Noooooooooo! :cry:

I can only think that it is Huppie - the funny eyes thing were a lot less in August when I was on vacation but I assumed that was because I wasn't on the computer all day. What do I do? Obviously I can't give Huppie up, she has made my life so much better (and I know her life is better) but I can't keep going on with these eyes. What do I do? Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice?

Thanks

Emma

I am fairly sure it is Huppie's fur - my eyes have been worse the last couple of weeks, just since Huppie's pre-winter moult has started!

My hubby is slightly allergic to the hay so he just avoids that but for me, I am sure it is the fur. I might get a test done to confirm it, I live in the Netherlands and they do allergy testing as standard at the GPs.

GrrrrrArrrrrgghhh

My eyes itch loads when I'm cleaning the rabbits or if they're moulting - I have found that it's physical irritation rather than allergic though - i get their fur in my eyes and you can't get it out cos it's so fine, it's not visible...
Could this be what's happening? Just wondering cos you only mention a problem with your eyes, whereas (I think) an allergic reaction would bung you up like hayfever :)

It could be the litter or hay rather than Huppie

You can get tested to see what it is :) Im allergic to Smirnoff but I didnt realise it could be her or go to the doctor for quite a while after I got her

Its easily managed with me by allergy pills, also for spending time with her I do this on the back door step with the door open which helps with my eyes watering

Hi. I have same problem as you, buts its the Hay im allergic to. I kept leaving it and then one day my eye was blood red and real bad :oops: I take anti hystomines dailey now and throuraghly wash hands after handling hay, and hoover up alot.

The only rabbit itself ive reacted to badly was a Angora rabbit some years ago now. he was mine. The fur is slightly different and that i did react to. My freind (neighbour) looked after them most the time, for all the handling parts like grooming twice dailey etc.. and I provided foods and costs and still got to sit and watch him etc.. Just couldnt handle him as i reacted badly :( But still he was my bun, well a shared bun.

Thanks everyone!

I shall get checked at the doctor to see what it is I am allergic to - if anything, maybe it is just an irritation. Huppie's fur is very fine and it gets everywhere, especially now she is moulting - I am grooming her twice a day. She loves it though, she puts on her cute little happy face and makes the little chattering/purring noise. She then gets cross when I stop :lol:

It is good to know that you can take allergy pills daily, I thought that wasn't possible so you have cheered me up no end!

Thanks

Emma

Im allergic to Charlie's hay, but not Charlie. Which makes me sad as when I was little we had to get rid of my rabbit thumper cos of my allergies. granted I was only 6, so it may have been that my mum couldn't cope with three kids under 6, plus two rabbits.

I try to sort him out before I get my shower in the morning or in the evening.

I had hay fever before Charlie, so I have tablets a nasal spray and eye drops. you can get them on prescription if you get them free otherwise it is cheaper to shop around. Home bargains do a weeks tabs for a pound.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/health/cheap-hayfever-remedies#online

or have a look here, a bit out of date but the sites to buy cheap anti-histamines are still up and running

Edit: UUPPPSSS just seen where you live, oh well be useful for someone. Im sure you can find similar sites that deliver to you

Last edited:
I take piriton all year round , I couldn't give my animals up for love nor money.
I also have eye drops fop bad days too but again I love what we do , animals are my passion and life without them would kill me :(

Antihisthamines are the way to go. I've been on them for years. I'm allergic to all sorts of stuff so animals are the least of my worries. I'm erring on the safe side with Frank and don't pick him up unless I have to. We spend quality time in the yard and he comes to gives me the odd nose nudge and lick, which is fine. I'm also careful with his hay etc... and so far so good. Certain breeds of dog really make my asthma and hay fever bad, but luckily my own two don't bother me at all.

I'd rather wheeze, itch and sneeze than live without animals anyway. The doctor will probably tell you to get rid of Huppie, but take no notice. They always tell you that along with stop smoking if you do and lose weight if you're fat. ;)

Antihisthamines are the way to go. I've been on them for years. I'm allergic to all sorts of stuff so animals are the least of my worries. I'm erring on the safe side with Frank and don't pick him up unless I have to. We spend quality time in the yard and he comes to gives me the odd nose nudge and lick, which is fine. I'm also careful with his hay etc... and so far so good. Certain breeds of dog really make my asthma and hay fever bad, but luckily my own two don't bother me at all.

I'd rather wheeze, itch and sneeze than live without animals anyway. The doctor will probably tell you to get rid of Huppie, but take no notice. They always tell you that along with stop smoking if you do and lose weight if you're fat. ;)

They always do say that but they wouldn't have to treat so many people for depression if they allowed them to keep their animals

I like your thinking!

Damn Doctors ;)

I'll let you know what happens, one thing is for sure though, Huppie is staying and next week we'll find her a friend and be damned! Hoorah for rebelling!

Back