• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help!!!

So here is the deal. A few months back two black rabbits showed up on my street. They were free to rome around where they pleased. Turns out that they were male/female. Then all of a suddon their was about 6 more rabbits/babies. Last night my sister killed a baby bunnie. I set out to find where he got it from and I found the den under a pile of wood but nothing was in there. So I kept looking around the area (we have old snowmbiles and piles of firewood.)I moved some boards and I saw a little bunnie. So I got a net and scared him into the net and put him into a cage. He is shy but lets you hold him and pet him. A few hours after that I checked to see if their was anything in the den and their was about 4-5 more babies so I blocked off every hole I could.

Turns out that it didn't work, I found another dead baby in the lawn this morning. So I uncovered the den to get the babies out since they are old enough to walk around themselfs I knew if I took them they would be fine. But once I uncovered it the babies were gone. My question is that since I covered it back up and put some logs back where they were will they come back? I really need/want to catch these poor guys before any more die. I'm going to catch all the bigger rabbits as well and put them into cages. I just want to make sure they will come back so I can catch them. Or did I mess up and have to hope for the best?

hiya and welcome to the forum.:wave: Probably best to not chase the others. They may find mum and then they'll be ok. Do you have a rescue center nearby you could contact for advice? Take the baby to a vet and get his age, he may also need his mum. Someone at some point needs to catch mum and dad, they are not wild and may suffer come winter.

hiya and welcome to the forum.:wave: Probably best to not chase the others. They may find mum and then they'll be ok. Do you have a rescue center nearby you could contact for advice? Take the baby to a vet and get his age, he may also need his mum. Someone at some point needs to catch mum and dad, they are not wild and may suffer come winter.

I can't leave them out there even if the parents are around because the cat will keep getting to them. All the rescue centers are for dogs and cats.

I would also suggest that if Mum is still on the scene, she will look after the babies.
Perhaps you could set up some kind of cage with food in, and try to catch the family, but I would take advice if you are going to take on a young family, with an un-neutered pair of parents, as it won't be long before the next batch of tinies arrive! A local rescue should be able to advise you on the best course of action.
It is difficult to catch rabbits that don't want to be caught!
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Edit. Have since read above post, and seems like you haven't a local bunny rescue. Have you an equivalent to our RSPCA?

Is it possible this is a wild family - sometimes you can get wild black ones, or are they defo ex-pet rabbits?

Last edited:
I would also suggest that if Mum is still on the scene, she will look after the babies.
Perhaps you could set up some kind of cage with food in, and try to catch the family, but I would take advice if you are going to take on a young family, with an un-neutered pair of parents, as it won't be long before the next batch of tinies arrive! A local rescue should be able to advise you on the best course of action.
It is difficult to catch rabbits that don't want to be caught!
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I'm going to be catching all the rabbits. A few people I know are looking for rabbits and I can give them one each making sure no pairs go to the same home. I still need to know if the babies will go back to the den after being messed with so I know where to look.

Back