• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Insurance

Lynseypvic

Young Bun
Hi all

We want to get lavender insured ASAP. Can anyone recommend who do go with? There does not seem to be a lot of choice for rabbits as everything is cats and dogs (including all the good deals!) i know when we looked before, the insurance was higher than my kids health care!
We want to keep costs down if we can, but obviously want something good and which will 'kick in' asap as i know they wont pay out if a pet needs treatment at the start of a policy.
We would be grateful of advice about who to go with.
many thanks
Lynsey

Hi all

We want to get lavender insured ASAP. Can anyone recommend who do go with? There does not seem to be a lot of choice for rabbits as everything is cats and dogs (including all the good deals!) i know when we looked before, the insurance was higher than my kids health care!
We want to keep costs down if we can, but obviously want something good and which will 'kick in' asap as i know they wont pay out if a pet needs treatment at the start of a policy.
many thanks
Lynsey
I strongly reccomend Petplan! If you go through www.cashbackshopper.co.uk
I think you get some cash back. Murphy is insured with them and after only 14 days of the insurance starting he got intersusception and had to have a life saving op costing over £500. They paid out no problem. With out the op he would have died or had to be pts so I can't thank them enough. We only pay £10 a month as well!!

If she is under 5 years then definately go with Petplan. Get a yearly dental check so that dental problems are covered too!

Yep petplan it costs me 17pound a month for my 2 and aslong as i have dental checks they covered for life :)

I thought they didn't cover anything with teeth? Gregory's incisors become overgrown every 3 weeks and he has now developed spurs on his molars - probably as a result of not wanting hay due to the incisors.

Would any of this be covered?

Pet plan for me, pay about £17 for my two. They have dental checks every 6 months so should be covered if the develope a problem.

Has anyone use PHA pet insurance / exotics direct 12 monthly instalments of 6.83 totalling, 82.20 45 excess, valid upto 2000

Or

Insurance now / Help you cover .co.uk 9.09 per month, money back at the end of the policy https://www.helpucover.co.uk/pets/pdf/P2836v2RABBIT.pdf looks rather good 6 months waiver if you become unemployed from a full time job. teeth are included after two years with the policy
really tempted to go for this one just never heard of the company, might do a bit of investigating when I get back.

I thought they didn't cover anything with teeth? Gregory's incisors become overgrown every 3 weeks and he has now developed spurs on his molars - probably as a result of not wanting hay due to the incisors.

Would any of this be covered?

You need to check the small print basically.

On my policy it says they are covered for dental if you have a dental check every 12 months

I am going to check that as Petplan wouldn't pay for Bruno's last dental yet i have them checked every 3 months - I am going to get on to them tomorrow to find out about this. :wave:

Hi all

many thanks
Lynsey

I pay £11 a month with Petplan, I went through Quidco (cashback website). If you do the same you'll get £25 cashback :)

Hi,

Does pet plan cover emergency call outs? We would also be interested in getting Insurance.

Thanks! :D

Hi,

Does pet plan cover emergency call outs? We would also be interested in getting Insurance.

Thanks! :D

I believe (check the small print in your policy) that they do cover emergency call-outs if the vet agrees that it was necessary. They would only cover the cost of the vet coming to you if the vet agrees that moving him would probably kill him. They will only cover out of hours visit costs if the vet agrees that it couldn't wait until the morning. So if you are worried about it phone the vets first to see if they agree it is necessary and if they would be willing to say that on the insurance form.

Petplan is 10% off if you buy online. I have just insured my buns for 14 quid a month.

Although my dog has been on DirectLine for years so was hoping I could go with them as I'd have got a multiple pet discount - but they don't insure bunnies!

I have just insured Lola with helpucover for £11.89 per month. I looked at pet plan and there cover offered to me was £20 per month which I thought was quite expensive.

Helpucover seem to have a very similar policy, however their excess is £50 instead of £45. I thought this was reasonable however as the payment per month was so much cheaper.

20 quid a month is a lot when they insured mine yesterday 14 quid for the pair - must be down to where you live? I had an angora stolen when I lived in a city despite having a very enclosed garden (with a thirty foot brick wall at the end of it).

Back