• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinations.......Reactions

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
I took Mrs Bun to the vets monday for her VHD.(The Myxi was 2 weeks previous and no reactions there) but now she has a red slightly scabby mark.No fur on this bit.Doesnt seem to bother her.
I can only think this is from the jab.is this normal??
Also,she is lactating due to a phantom pregnancy.Rather grumpy and bit me today.Im going to get her speyed but Im still concerned.Heard too many horror stories I think!! Anyone got any positive stories?? Much obliged.xx

Lola had a reaction to her VHD jab a couple of years ago, a red scab on the back of her neck. I was told just to keep an eye on it and that it was nothing to worry about :)

I had my rabbit done against Myxi and no reaction, then VHD and she had a bad reaction. The area went bald and looked like it was bruised, then went red and scabby and all the fur round the area fell out. I took her to the vet and she was put on antibiotics. Keep an eye on it and if it looks any worse take her back. They did the consultation for free as I was never warned of any risks prior to the vaccination.

Just to add, Buble has been neutured and all was very easy and no problems :)

Last edited:
I too have had my buns have reactions against VHD.

The more they weighed, the lesser the reaction (all buns who had a reaction were under 1.7 kg).

The smaller ones started to go bald in various places over their body (dry flakey skin coming off in chunks and losing fur), the bigger ones just got a localised reaction (sore red patch that peeled and went bald).

All of my buns under 1.7 kg have half a dose now, and that has stopped all reactions.

I also came across someone on another forum whose bun would get slight head tilt and walking problems shortly after her VHD and they would disappear in time, and the vet could find no problems so attributed it to a reaction, and that has been happening every time, I believe.

Right,thanks all of you for your input.The red scabby mark is localised.Mrs B weighs in at a 2.36kg.Shes under observation!!
Any more input on speys will be welcome.....Please!!!xxx

Sorry to hear about bad reactions.

Just like to say that my buns have never had a bad reaction to VHD vacinations and recovered very well and very quickly when they were spayed. Maybe I was lucky but don't be put off, both vaccinations and spaying are very important for your bunnies.

Sorry, missed the bit about spaying.

I have had several spayed. I found it helped to find their favourite foods before the spay (to know what to tempt them with) and also to syringe train them so that they would come over for the syringe so that if they needed meds they didn't need to be manhandled too much.

I gave them really comofy cushions to sleep on and kept the room at a higher than normal temp. They didn't eat very quickly, but within 24 hours were doing all they should, but were still very dopey.

Mine have all sprung back quickly but I currently have a foster who went under the anaesthetic VERY over weight and she is really struggling, but that was both due to the vets lack of rabbit skills (not my choice of vet), and the fact she was so obese.

If your rabbit is healthy touch wood, things will be fine.

ETA on her vaccination reaction you can use minimal Sudacrem which should help ease any pain and help it heal quicker.

my rabbit had a huge lump appear after his myx jab, which eventually went down after a couple of weeks but was rather nasty and weepy. he's got his VHD in a couple of weeks so here's hoping all goes well there

Apparently the reaction to VHD vaccination at site of injection is due to the mineral oil that the vaccine is in.

Back