• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick straw advice needed please!!

BwfcAngel

Mama Doe
My stupid boyfriend (who clearly cant read) has bought bl**dy straw instead of hay. I only realised this about 10 mins ago when all hay was taken out of hutches and cages. I cant get any hay until later on. Am i ok to put straw in for a few hours until i can get my hands on some? I dont know much about straw but i know lots of peoplle on here dont like using it. Any quick advice anyone so i can sort my bunnies out?? It would only be until tonight

Lisa

if its in her cage for bedding though, Belle'll eat it probably cos she eats her hay when thats down as bedding. Is that ok?

It won't cause any harm. It just doesn't provide much/any nutrition. Give them some extra pellets or greens/grass until you can pickup some more hay.

I have heard of people feeding straw as well as hay, saying it has a higher fibre content. Do not know if this is true though

straw fibre?

I have never heard this, straw is for bedding really. Wont harm them to nibble it but certainly wouldn't help them in long run if they didn't have access to hay. Hay is high fibre thats why it is an absolute for buns and g-pigs!
Although straw is a bedding it is strongly recommended not to use with smaller breeds and G-pigs as it is very hard and can stab eyes causing damage even blindness. But it certainly won't harm them to eat it.
Men honestly useless!

I use straw for bedding as although they have the odd nibble they don't really eat it so it keeps them nice and warm in the winter.

It's quite funny really....when I'm serving at work, if someone comes up with straw I will ask them if they're aware that they've picked up straw. Quite a few people look confused and then realise they've boo-boo'd ;)

It's quite funny really....when I'm serving at work, if someone comes up with straw I will ask them if they're aware that they've picked up straw. Quite a few people look confused and then realise they've boo-boo'd ;)

Bl**dy hell - where were you yesterday then?? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back