• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tularemia question...

So I had an interesting event today.

I was driving home from a restaurant when I got lost in on a side street that had a little field in the middle. A rabbit almost ran under my tires. I realized immediately that it was domesticated - it was a beautiful shade of black with a little white spot on its nose. Definitely not a wild hare.

I spent the better part of an hour attempting to catch it so I could take it to the local rabbit rescue. I failed, but gave a concerned neighbor the rescue's number and am calling it myself in the morning to see if they can stage a rescue. There were four rabbits in all, having been "set free" by uncaring owners a few months before.

So here's my question.

I was down in the dirt with these rabbits for a better part of an hour, trying to tempt them towards me. They came up and touched me several times but I couldn't get a handle on them. I had my hands around one of them briefly, but that's it.

When I got home, I started coughing and felt (maybe?) a bit feverish.

What do you think my chances are of catching Tularemia from these now-feral rabbits (I live in California, where it's not unheard of)?

I'm asking less for concern over my own health (because I know it's treatable) and more for the worry that if I have contracted it, I could pass it on to my three rabbits.

Any thoughts?

-----
Lauren

Anybody, anybody? I'm currently avoiding my rabbits just in case but I'm gonna have to feed them in the morning. Can someone tell me if they're in any danger?

I'm afraid that we don't have this disease in the UK, so I can't provide an answer, sorry :(

Have you tried posting your Q. on an American rabbit discussion group? Etherbun yahoo group is good for medical info :D

First of all, if you use hot water to wash your clothing at the time, and also thoroughly wash your body and hair, how can the disease still exist in the house?

If you do have tularemia, you can't be infected that fast, can you?

because according to this linK:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tularemia

The incubation period for tularemia is 1 to 14 days; most human infections become apparent after 3 to 5 days.

is the bun a cottontail?

oh I've just realised that this must be the rabbit disease that humans can catch in "house"......I always wondered.

I wouldn't expect any infection to start so quickly....probably all that running around after the rabbits. If you really are worried, before you touch the buns put clean clothing on, wash your hands and arms really well and tie a scarf around your face and mouth.......and then go get yourself checked out by a doctor :)

Back