• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny eats little, drinks a lot

mjlady

New Kit
Hi,

I have a bunny bought last week. Im not sure what breed it is (see my avatar). He is white and has cute eyelashes that makes him look like a girl. He likes to lick my hand or feet a lot. Just about yesterday, he was eating less but drinks lots of water. Also his poo is smaller or different in sizes. Also he does not lick my hand or feet anymore.

Is he stressed? because we had a bunny before him who is 2 months older and is very active and maybe kinda noisy for him.

Im not sure i can get him to the vet right now coz im a bit short. Im soo worried what will i do?

Update

I just gave him carrots just now. And he ate it like normal rabbits do, that is a lot & they love it. He even ate 2 stems of the stalks growing at top of the carrot. Im still worried coz of his poo which is little. He was not really that active type. He just walked or explore a minute or two then lies down.

Most likely you change his diet from the place you bought it. Normally, whatever pellet is given to him, you should be giving:

week 1: 70% of old pellet + 30% new pellet you use
week 2: 50% each
week 3: 30% old pellet + 70% new pellet
week 4: 100% new pellet

also make sure his diet is 80% timothy hay. They should only eat a small amt. of pellet

By the way, if you buy rabbit, you are encouraging those breeder to breed more bun as a supply. This is the condition that these rescue animals lives in

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

So when you buy a bun, you are doing this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Most likely you change his diet from the place you bought it. Normally, whatever pellet is given to him, you should be giving:

week 1: 70% of old pellet + 30% new pellet you use
week 2: 50% each
week 3: 30% old pellet + 70% new pellet
week 4: 100% new pellet

also make sure his diet is 80% timothy hay. They should only eat a small amt. of pellet

By the way, if you buy rabbit, you are encouraging those breeder to breed more bun as a supply. This is the condition that these rescue animals lives in

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

So when you buy a bun, you are doing this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Where does it say they bought the bunny from a breeder?
I think the links to those clips is quite unnecessary when all the person was asking for was advice on her rabbits eating habits :shock::shock:

Where does it say they bought the bunny from a breeder?
I think the links to those clips is quite unnecessary when all the person was asking for was advice on her rabbits eating habits :shock::shock:

agre the links are a bit unnessacery. but i think try finding out what bun was eating also the more grass they eat the darker theri poos they will also be smaller than hay full poos... so i would introduce more hay than grass if this is the case.. .more drinking could be a possible sign of diabetes but is unlikely i would pop to vet if worried... try all new foods in moderation and bring them in very gradually else could upset your buns tumm xx

thanks

i fed him with only pellets. we did not have problems with our 2 month older bunny before. But i guess he is a different breed. I fed him with dill and i guess he's ok.

Try not to give alot of carrot huni cos its really not too good for them make sure ya bunny has got loads of timothy hay plenty water not too many pellets and a tiny amount of veg 1 at a time to start of with to see if it agrees with ya bunnys tummy after giving a small piece of veg leave him for 24 hrs to see if theres a change in poos, spring greens, coriander, basil, cauliflower leaves are all good for ya bunny hun, hope he gets well soon if his poos get any smaller or dissappear you need to see a vet asap huni :)

Back