• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

freecycle again....

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Ok so really I should just shut up and ignore the wanted posts for a '"black kitten for my granddaughter" and my little girl has set her heart on getting a rabbit blah blah blah. But I can't. Not only do I try and send a polite email to the person doing the 'wanting' (I have to ignore the offerings as they wind me up to much) I just get abuse back! The moderators just think I am a trouble maker, a whiner and this week I have been accused of being offensive, ARROGANT :shock: and that I should "refrain from telling people how to bring up their children"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What can I do apart from to stop using freecycle!? The pet mods seem to occasionally agree with me, one said that putting an admin message out about not buying pets etc but nothing so far.

It all makes me so angry and very very sad.

Ok so really I should just shut up and ignore the wanted posts for a '"black kitten for my granddaughter" and my little girl has set her heart on getting a rabbit blah blah blah. But I can't. Not only do I try and send a polite email to the person doing the 'wanting' (I have to ignore the offerings as they wind me up to much) I just get abuse back! The moderators just think I am a trouble maker, a whiner and this week I have been accused of being offensive, ARROGANT :shock: and that I should "refrain from telling people how to bring up their children"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What can I do apart from to stop using freecycle!? The pet mods seem to occasionally agree with me, one said that putting an admin message out about not buying pets etc but nothing so far.

It all makes me so angry and very very sad.

now this is not meant to be offensive to you but i wondered if they are grumpy for the sake of it or for the way the advice is written? i have been given good and bad advice over the years and i never mind as long as someoen says it in the right way... try being sympathetic...like...eg the one who wants the kitten

its so nice to hear of children loving animals we hear of so much abuse of them these days... i had a kitten for my daughter...but i just wondered if you got a kitten for your granddaughter where wouldd it live with you or the little girl..? she would be sad to leave it at yours and it would be a lot of work for you? also with regards it living with her i assume her mum doesnt mind all the vet fees and the costs involved i was so shocked that my lilttle one grew so bored so quickly of our kitten and being young of course i ended up taking care of it!!! i do love our kitten well now cat! but i wish id been prepared for all the costs..worming fleas vaccs speying... cat flu illness food and the dead mice she brings home... just wanted to share my expiriance to give you aheads up im sure you arent as daft as me and have thought it through.. iv also just found out about the cats protection league they have so many loverly cats/kittens there so i got mine a freind.... you have a quick homecheck and provided you can do all the ness vet fees they let you bring it home.... also they spey them first and get their vaccs and worming done so you only have to pay and adoptino fee lots cheaper ! only wish id known before! anyhows hope this helps xxxx

that way it seems like you have been there and know what is going on!!! but its all lies... its jsut a way of putting it accross?! do you get me? i dont have a daughter... i dont even have a kitten!! but it makes my point in a freindly way?

TBH anyone who posts a request for an animal on a Freecycle group is probably doing so to get a free 'toy' for their kids. They are not likely to adopt from a rescue centre or go to a responsible breeder because this would cost money. The animal will probably be fed cheap rubbish food and not vaccinated or taken to the vets if they get ill. When the animal dies, they will probably just get another.

I don't think it's purely a case of ignorance...they obtain the animal without any intention of looking after it properly, and won't thank you for trying to offer advice because they have no intention of forking out cash for what most pet owners would consider to be essentials :(

It is impossible to champion the cause of all animals posted on the internet, freecycle is not the only place where animals seem to be traded in such a manner.. there are many such 'free-ad' type of sites.

So what I do is just pick on the wanteds for rabbits on my local freecycle... as they are the animals I know most about... and send them the link to the RU forum, with the note that they may be able to rehome an unwanted bunny from this site, and that there are a bunch of really helpful people here, who will gladly offer advice if asked.
This way I hope they will peruse the site, and get some idea of what they are doing, and at least have some info at hand to help any bunny they do get their hands on.
And any place that rehomes buns on here will vet their setup.

All we can hope to do is help just a little bit....

now this is not meant to be offensive to you but i wondered if they are grumpy for the sake of it or for the way the advice is written? i have been given good and bad advice over the years and i never mind as long as someoen says it in the right way... try being sympathetic...like...eg the one who wants the kitten

its so nice to hear of children loving animals we hear of so much abuse of them these days... i had a kitten for my daughter...but i just wondered if you got a kitten for your granddaughter where wouldd it live with you or the little girl..? she would be sad to leave it at yours and it would be a lot of work for you? also with regards it living with her i assume her mum doesnt mind all the vet fees and the costs involved i was so shocked that my lilttle one grew so bored so quickly of our kitten and being young of course i ended up taking care of it!!! i do love our kitten well now cat! but i wish id been prepared for all the costs..worming fleas vaccs speying... cat flu illness food and the dead mice she brings home... just wanted to share my expiriance to give you aheads up im sure you arent as daft as me and have thought it through.. iv also just found out about the cats protection league they have so many loverly cats/kittens there so i got mine a freind.... you have a quick homecheck and provided you can do all the ness vet fees they let you bring it home.... also they spey them first and get their vaccs and worming done so you only have to pay and adoptino fee lots cheaper ! only wish id known before! anyhows hope this helps xxxx

that way it seems like you have been there and know what is going on!!! but its all lies... its jsut a way of putting it accross?! do you get me? i dont have a daughter... i dont even have a kitten!! but it makes my point in a freindly way?

Yes this is a another way of getting a message across but I can still imagine I'll still get the abuse back people just think you're interfering:evil:

It is impossible to champion the cause of all animals posted on the internet, freecycle is not the only place where animals seem to be traded in such a manner.. there are many such 'free-ad' type of sites.

So what I do is just pick on the wanteds for rabbits on my local freecycle... as they are the animals I know most about... and send them the link to the RU forum, with the note that they may be able to rehome an unwanted bunny from this site, and that there are a bunch of really helpful people here, who will gladly offer advice if asked.
This way I hope they will peruse the site, and get some idea of what they are doing, and at least have some info at hand to help any bunny they do get their hands on.
And any place that rehomes buns on here will vet their setup.

All we can hope to do is help just a little bit....

Yes I will do this in future thank you :)

TBH anyone who posts a request for an animal on a Freecycle group is probably doing so to get a free 'toy' for their kids. They are not likely to adopt from a rescue centre or go to a responsible breeder because this would cost money. The animal will probably be fed cheap rubbish food and not vaccinated or taken to the vets if they get ill. When the animal dies, they will probably just get another.

I don't think it's purely a case of ignorance...they obtain the animal without any intention of looking after it properly, and won't thank you for trying to offer advice because they have no intention of forking out cash for what most pet owners would consider to be essentials :(

Quite agree. One woman on freecycle lately was telling people NOT to go to rescue centres cause they 'butcher' the animals (ie neuter :shock:) so you can't have puppies, kittens etc plus have the cheek to charge you money for an animal when you are "doing them a favour" by taking the animal off their hands!!!

I used to have the same problem when I worked for the NHS.

We had a notice board on the Intranet and people were always putting things like 'Guinea pig, free to a good home, 3 years old'. I used to send them links to animal rescue sites but quite often I just used to get told to mind my own business!

I totally agree with abbymarysmokey, most people looking for a free pet have no intention of looking after them properly.

Back