• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giving buns injections yourself - UPDATE

DDD

Mama Doe
I am thinking of asking the vets if I can self treat the buns if their syphyllis comes back, as the medicine is only a few pence, but it's costing nearly £150 for every episode of syphyllis and this is the 3rd time this year I have had to had them treated for it.

Anyone else treat their buns with injections?? I can do S/C jabs in humans as a nurse, so wouldn;t be worried about the actual injection

Last edited:
Hi, we give ours baytril by injection when they need it. The vet measures it into the syringes for us and we give once a day. Some vets don't like you to do it though, when I asked one for it like that rather than liquid they were shocked.

Hi, I self inject the animals, the vets showed me how to do intramuscular and sub cut injections. I usually get the drugs and needles from the vet and then inject according to their advice. If an animal comes in requiring a long series of injections and the owner is willing and able they will show them what to do, so it doesn't cost the earth. If the owner isn't keen they often charge a small fee- was £5, but has gone up to £7, rathe than a re-examine charge of £11.

I am currently doing a series of injections for a friend of mine (on here) as her bunny needs penicillin every other day and has done for the last almost two months. I had to be shown how to administer the injection (the owner is allergic to penicillin) by the vet and it has been going very well. The vet was quite happy about the arrangement.

I think it's a good idea if you are happy to administer.

I agree, especially for Baytril. Best thing is to ask your vet how to do it and then get the relevant syringes. I'm convinced it causes less stress to a bun than having to pick them up/trance/restrain them to administer an oral dose.

I gave one of my rabbits depocillin injections for about a month. I think it is less stressfull on the buns if they are treated at home and it is not difficult to do. It is just injected into the loose skin above the shoulders. If they are having injections for a long period of time it is a good idea to try and vary the injection site because it can get sore if the same bit skin is injected every time.

I have some injections in my medi kit and have had training from the vet to do this for them. I always take advice first as our vets do their own 24 hour cover and even if its 3am they will advice me on whats what.

I gave sub-Q for about 7 mth. to 1 of my bridge bun a few yr. ago, and recently, Pen G injection to another bun. w/ Pen G, I notice the needle they pre-measure and gave me is not big enough, so I ask them to swap me the ones w/ bigger gauge. Because w/ smaller gauge, whether apply to human or animal, the white liquid is so thick that it jams at the hole, in the end, it's useless. With the needle hole bigger, the liquid goes in nicely.

Also, another trick is if you are giving Pen G which is from the fridge, make sure you let it warm up for 15 min. before inject inside her skin. One of the tech. taught me this trick as it's too cold to go inside the skin, the bun doesn't feel comfy.

The absolute best spot is the loose skin just behind the neck. See diagram

needle9sq.jpg

I have a few Buns on longterm meds that have to be given by injection. One Bun has at least 2 injections a day, sometimes 4 !! So it would be impossible if my Vet did not allow me to do the injections myself.

:)

I inject my bunnies myself.When Barlie was poorly I had to inject her into a muscle,which I wasn't confident with at first.I find injecting so much easier than giving a bun oral meds which seems to stress bunny and me out if they don't like the taste of a medicine

I gave kermit stemetil injections when he was at his mega-falling/rolling over stages with EC......he never liked it at all, but i did manage.

That was three times a day.

I had never had any experience in injecting, the vet showed me how to do it and i just managed. Otherwise he just wouldnt have been able to get the meds!

Angel

We ended up having to inject Angel as giving her medicine was too stressful she used to really be aggressive and spit it out she has deformed mouth and the noises she made trying to get it in was horrid.
Needles best if the vet agrees they will let you practice with vitamins then we used to wait til she got tea and stick it in. Just under skin easy take 2nd.

I have spoken to and fluttered eyelashes at vet - and I will be picking up the syringes which they will fill for me, and I then do it myself. I had a go on Douglas today and it was fine. Just need to find a cheaper supplier of biolapis now!

Back