• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

PLEASE HELP : Am I doing it right?

Bunny_mad

Alpha Buck
I need a little bit of help. I have not been a member long but I have already got alot out of the forum.
I have 2 buns and they live indoors in a large hutch in the study. I have had buns before but when I was alot younger and they lived outdoors.
Should there bedding be made up of hay as I have been newspapers and other things in peoples shots as currently they are beeded on hay and they eat that as well as a pellet and veg diet. Does this sound right?
Also, do they like to have beds of some sort of towls etc in there hutches? I have seen lots of nice ones but as they are beeded on hay how would this work.
One other thing is, I kind of feel they would get more excersie if they lived outside. I have seen some amazing constructions on the site and it has inspired me! I am just worried about them getting cold and loosing there bond with me. Would it good for them to live outside with the hutch in a nice big shed with access to a run, then during the evening come in and be house buns?
Any advice on any of this would be appreciated so much. I just want them to get the best out of life and I want to do what is best for them!!!! :D

Last edited:
TBH, mine are indoor bunnies but go outside on nice days for excerise in there massive play pen. I do have a shed and the run for them, but because of the crime in the area atm ive decided id prefer my lovleys to be inside with me behind locked doors so i know thier safe, plus mine love the interaction and sometimes come and lie on my bed with me. Loads of people have the run/shed combo but its personal choice, but if you havent got the space inside for them to get enough excerise either buy a run for them for the garden or do the run/shed combo. The buns usally develop a winter coat, and if the hutch/shed is all packed with straw they should stay warm. Some people get thier hutchs insulted
I put a towel in for mine in thier cage sumtimes as they like bunching it up and snuggling in 2 it

Thanks for the advice. As they live indoors, would it not cause problems to suddenly put them outside. We have the room, its just getting the exercise. We are hoping to bond after the male ahs been done (the female has been done already), maybe this will chnage my mind as they can live together and have more room. When people have house buns are they usually allowed to roam around when they feel like it?

Personal choice again, mine arent allowed roam of the house anymore, and are only allowed to wander around our kitchen (its pretty big though) plus access to the run when its warm. Though they are allowed to be in a room if were thier (e.g having phoebe on the bed with me)
I wouldnt put them out now, id actually wait till next year now because its starting to come in cold and they wont of had time to get used to the cold. It isnt ment to be good for the rabbits, transfering them from indoors to outdoors, but if mine go outdoors i tend to make sure its a warmish day so its not to stressful for them, and bunnys aint a fan of heat anyway :D

Thanks, from that advice we will keep them inside and hope the onding process goes well. Then we can have them out together in the sitting room etc!! :) xx

My ones are indoor bun, so I take them to the backyard in the spring/summer/fall to do their run and hop around.

For winter, as it's cold over in this country, I make them go up & down the stairs more often :D

Back