• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what do you keep your rabbits on?

What's under your run?

• Grass

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Paving/concrete/similar

Votes: 35 67.3%
  • Other (pray tell)

Votes: 9 17.3%

• Total voters
Concrete, because when we moved into this house the front bit of the back garden was all dug out and placed up on the 'top' section of garden. So we had a big drop into the bottom bit, it was all covered in a layer of sand from where there might have been slabs, so we just concreted onto it. Not sure what we would have done if the garden was 'normal' and just grass, maybe some grass, some concrete where the hutch sits.

Mine are on the patio because its the most sheltered spot in the garden and it keeps their nails nice and short. I do have hay covering the ground though because it gets cold.

Paving slabs as we can't move the run very easy now its attached to their shed so i didnt want the grass to go all manky plus they'd eat it all and be left with a mud pit.
Mud = two very dirty bunnies :roll: :lol:
And they cant dig out too

some of my runs have Grass/dandelions and specially grown plants rabbits like. and I do have stone slabs at one end to help keep claws down.
Slabs are easily scrubbed when wee'd on too. also in summer i have slabs of marble for them to cool off on

Stones/concrete,Blanket

Mopsy used to poo on the blanket, wee on the concrete and lay down on the stones :roll: :lol: :lol:

Bark chips because it's cheap and comfortable for the rabbits

I thought about using bark chips over wire mesh so that the buns can't dig out, but all the bark chips I've seen have either been treated with chemicals, or have weird fungus growing in them...has this been a problem for you?

Also do the buns poop in the chips?

My hutch/runs are on concrete so they get maximum time out safely - no digging in/out.. they also have a run for the grass on good days for supervised time out.

Mine are on concrete. Its great for keeping nails short. They get to go in runs on the grass during the day though. The concrete gives me peace of mind else I'd worry about something digging in.
We were lucky that the concrete was already here when we moved in.

Paving slabs because it keeps their claws down, foxes cant get in and bunnies cant tunnel out (mine havent actually learned to dig properly yet, but I'm sure they would if left on grass)

I'm moving house soon and while I'd prefer somewhere with concrete, I may have to put them on grass with mesh under the run. Haven't worked out what to put over the mesh though, so watching this thread with interest!

If you keep a bunny on earth/grass then I guess you dont clean out the run and just let it compost??

I am wondering about putting down a sheet of plywood or maybe some kind of heavy trellis

I thought about using bark chips over wire mesh so that the buns can't dig out, but all the bark chips I've seen have either been treated with chemicals, or have weird fungus growing in them...has this been a problem for you?

Also do the buns poop in the chips?

I've been keeping them on bark for 4 months or so and just this past week they have started pooping in it :roll:

I don't think the stuff I use has chemicals in it.

Mine are on tarmac as other than that they would have to be on grass all the time and therefore exposed to all weather conditions.

Mine has some stone slabs as well as grass so he has the choice, I put in a plastic tray full of hay for him to sit in in case its a little wet out as hes not keen on getting his feet damp :roll::lol: (he also has a litter tray out so I dont have to keep moving the run)

One of my runs is on slabs and I have a thick wooden board screwed down in the other two because I couldn't get any more slabs, they might eventually start to rot but they will be easily replaced :) I put a thick layer of straw down in all the runs so it is nice and soft for them.

i have a grass run...laid over slabs and mesh to stop digging going to far and anything getting in... but they had sore hocks when on concrete hence the grass carpet i have for them xx

I put other although the base flooring of each run is made of concrete slabs, I feel its too hard a surface and one of my boys is prone to sore hocks. So I spread earth over the slabs and also reused old/uneaten hay to make it extra comfy. The buns can dig about happily and like to nest on the floor too. There are no disadvantages I can think of. I'm lucky in that all my buns are litter trained and I change the "bedding" once a month.

Mine are in a compound on the grass in the back garden. They are on grass all day from 7.00 am till it gets dark (which is getting earlier all the time!) In the winter time if it is stormy, I move them into a smaller hutch and run on concrete until the weather has changed, but they don't like it and miss their grass.

i have voted other as they have access to grass and patio slabs as they are free running in the day and they go where they like (lola actually has acess to laminated floor as she comes in the house when she likes and sleeps on the rug lol )

Back