• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

q's from a newbie

Chook

Young Bun
Hi everyone, I have a female bunny, kimi, who is appox 16 weeks old. I have had her for 7 weeks.

I was able to pick her up and groom her straight away as I knew I had to handle her a lot to get her used to it.
Originally I had a seperate hutch and run, lent to me by my brother. She now has a large hutch and run combination which means I don't have to handle her as much.
She has never really been easy to catch, but always allowed me to eventually and seemed quite happy being held. (possibly scared?)

Over the last few weeks as she has got bigger and stronger this task has been more difficult, she has begun to growl and kick. My husband has been very domineering with her, arguing that she needs to understand that we rule the roost, so has calmed her by grabbing her scruff and then gently picking her up. I know this sounds cruel but appears to be the only way to get her. I must stress he is not picking her up by the scruff. I dont know what to do and what is best. She will not entertain stroking if she can get away and handling her seems to be the only way to get close.

I was wondering if she needs neutering or not?

Any advice would be appreciated as we really do love her and want her to be a part of the family.

Thanks in advance

hi welcome!!! well it sounds liek she might need to be netured but it is up to you and also she may just be domenent :wave:

hi,
I would get her neutered. Both of my girls began getting more difficult to handle at that age, one would grunt and one would bite. I got them neutered and they are now easier to catch and happy to be handled. Neutering really seems to chill out most rabbits. I did mine at not much older than 4 months because the vet was happy to do so, it took 6 weeks or so to notice a big difference but its definately worth doing.

Hiya :wave: Yeah i think she needs neutering :) Lottie was like this at that age, neutering really does help :) xXx

One of mine is the same as yours!
She started off happy to be handled and last week when i picked her up she went mad!!!!:shock::shock: Also she has started to get very protective of her cage and run. She likes to be stroked only when she wants! She will also be about the same age as yours.
Miffy on the other hand is alot more laid back for now. Althogh theres time!:lol:I am seriously thinking about getting them both done as i would like to bond them but they are both girls so i dont really know how that will go?:?

Thanks for the responses, I have spoken to the vets and they told me 6 months, but i don't want her to get any ideas on how to bite, so want her done asap. So I asked them if they could do it sooner and they said they can book her in and make sure he is big enough to deal with it on the day. Will call them tomorrow and hopefully get her in next week.

I was trying to lure her with a carrot tonight as much as she loves them she was so reluctant to come near me, I was in the run with her and although she was happly nibbling when I leant to touch her she growled.
Should I persist in trying to touch her or should I wait until surgery is over?

Back