• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help putting a harness on Lola.

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks.

I would love to take Lola for a little walk - but I cant figure out how to get the harness on her!

Has anyone got any pics of tips or advise on how they fit a rabbit?

my advice..Don't put a harness on her
Rabbits don't like them and can break their backs panicking to get them off
Also taking her out for a walk is also not advised...she could be suddenly attacked by a dog..you do not know what germs she may pick up..or she could slip her harness and escape

all in all they are not a good idea for bunnies...sorry:?

my advice..Don't put a harness on her
Rabbits don't like them and can break their backs panicking to get them off
Also taking her out for a walk is also not advised...she could be suddenly attacked by a dog..you do not know what germs she may pick up..or she could slip her harness and escape

all in all they are not a good idea for bunnies...sorry:?

I did have a funny feeling they were not good - thank you for re-assuring me! x x x

I'd also agree with Jill.

My bridge bun, Daisy, used to be taken for a walk round the garden on one until, one day, it got wrapped around her leg. She really panicked and it was the first time I'd ever heard a rabbit scream.

Luckily we acted quickly and all was well but I would personally never use one again.

please don't....I tried one once in the garden as it's very non bunny proof and sooty hated having it put on, kept trying to eat things he wasn't supposed to like Ivy..he also got a bit stress if he wanted to go somewhere & I didn't....like into nextdoors garden. Also goodness knows what would happen if you took her out where there are dogs as she's tiny.

I tried one on poppy as i thoguht it was a good idea to get her extra exercise, she ran all over the place getting tangled round everything, i couldnt let go cos she'd escape, couldnt untangle her, she ended up wriggling about like mad until she got out of it and escaped into the garden. :(

a big pen is better for exercise i think :)

here is my advice. if the rabbit wants the harness on them thats fine. i had a rabbit snowy who loved to come out for walks but it is a lot of hassel as you have to walk the route first to check for dog poo and to check for glass etc that might hurt them or poisonous plants. once this is done you need to ensure that it isnt too hot on pavement for their paws. also bear in mind you need a rabbit who wants t go on it.. snowy would pick up lead off floor and drag towards me and they need to sit still while you attatch it. you dont walk them they will walk you so dont be suprised if they want to go a different way also be aware that you may need to pick up bun should a dog or cat come along so a bun that hates being picked up is a nono i wouldnt put some buns on a lead as they will fret adn get scared and not have fun the only rabbit i ever had sucess and knew enjoyed it was snowy iv since heard terrible stories about buns getting tanlged and stressed and some even strangled and dying on them so i think a run is best xx

Hey :wave:

Mopsy used to love going out on the harness. But she was used to it since she was a little baby. She just used to go round the graden though.

P1000463.jpg

P1000144.jpg

:)

I wouldn't just put the harness on and go take the rabbit for a walk. It may take some time getting used to.
Rabbits under 3 months shouldn't wear harnesses as their skeletons are still soft and there's more chance of injury.

If its hard to get it on, distract the rabbit with food and gently attach the harness. Make sure its neither too tight or too loose, you should be able to get one finger in between the harness and the rabbit.

When the rabbit has gotten used to harness, you could try taking it "for a walk".
Remember you can't walk a rabbit like you can a dog, if you try pulling the lead it's likely to just try going the other way. Harnesses are for letting the buns run free, but with you keeping a close eye on it, and NEVER leave a rabbit with a harness unattended.:D

Thank you folks - I have decided not to use it - our back garden is big enough and the thought of her coming in contact with dog poo makes me shudder!!:shock:

Thank you for your advice x x

Im glad uve decided not to put her on one lol I did have one for Phoebe but think a massive run/garden is so much better for them :love: mine love me today, ive had them out since late morning and brung them in just before as thiers people hangin about the streets where I live, breaking into sheds etc

Back