• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Treponematosis (bunny syphillis)

Charm

Young Bun
Hi girls

My little Bunny has been suffering on and off since before May. I had tried baytril and various injections and advice from my vet and then I came on here and was directed to couple of very nice ladies who have helped me with her. We have decided that what she has is not maximatosis as first thought but instead it looks very much like rabbit syphillis. Bunny is a Netherland Dwarf and she is just over a year old. She started sneezing soon after I bought her from a pet shop and has got steadily worse. I have tried various medications thinking it might have been snuffles but after seeing the picture of a rabbit with syphillis I am convinced that this is what she has. Poor little mite has had vaseline on her nose, sudocreme on her genitals and she is such a little fighter. I am hoping that the penicillin which is now being given to her helps. Has anybody else had this with their rabbits and if so did you manage to cure them????? Any help and advice would be warmly welcomed.

Juliexx

As I explained in answer to your PM the treatment is a course of Penicillin Injections, one a week for three weeks.

A Tetracycline antibiotic is also effective but the treatment is a more intensive and longer course

The symptoms should resolve after treatment but 'flare-ups' can occur at a later date. The effected Rabbit should not be used for breeding.

:)

Last edited:
I havent experienced it but Im glad you have been pointed in the right direction.Sending loads of healing vibes Bunnys way.

As I explained in answer to your PM the treatment is a course of Penicillin Injections, one a week for three weeks.

A Tetracycline antibiotic is also effective but the treatment is a more intensive and longer course

The symptoms should resolve after treatment but 'flare-ups' can occur at a later date. The effected Rabbit should not be used for breeding.

Thanks Jane she has been injected, so fingers crossed, I have to take her back next week:)

Thanks Jane she has been injected, so fingers crossed, I have to take her back next week:)

Thank goodness you took no notice of the Vet who wanted to PTS.........:shock: :cry:

You may find that you dont see any improvement til a few days after the second injection. It would be a good idea to give her a probiotic such as Bio-Lapis or Fibreplex whist she is on treatment

http://www.petvetcare.co.uk/acatalog/Small_Animals_Pets.html

Gus and Sweetpea had Syphilis, they were given 3 Penicillin injections and were cured, Poppy my 3rd bun was also treated even though she has no symptoms as it spreads really easily. This was about 9 months ago and we have had no problems since. My vet actually gave the injections 3 days apart rather than a week, this was fine and the buns had no problems.

Hope she is clear soon!

I have found the pictures online and in textbooks of rabbit syphilis tend to be at a very advanced stage and looked nothing like what Gus had, I had to see 4 vets before they would believe it was syphilis :roll:

Bunny

I thought all vets should know about this?????

Will the vet have this Jane probiotic such as Bio-Lapis or Fibreplex???

I wonder why they say one injection every 3 weeks and then your vet said one injection every 3 days????:( I don't know what to think about this now.

Bunny is a bearing up well and it no worse but I dont see a big diff yet, but as you say maybe after the second injection (I hope)

Juliexxx

My two have had syphillis 3 times since Feb this year. They are treated with 3 injections of penicillin every week. They have biolapis to help their tummys. If you look at my previous threads, you can see everyone's input on this before

Thanks have looked back at all the threads and the penicillin definitely seems the way to go. Will be back this week for more injections, also taking bunny's little friend along. Will post how they get on.:wave:

Well girls she had another penicillin injection yesterday and although she has lost weight her nose seems to be clearing up. I am pondering on bringing her inside in an indoor cage for the winter. Normally they are kept in my hut but I have no heating. Does anybody else have Nethies that keep them inside during the winter? I am only doing this because she has lost weight and seems quite weak.?????

I thought all vets should know about this?????

Will the vet have this Jane probiotic such as Bio-Lapis or Fibreplex???

I wonder why they say one injection every 3 weeks and then your vet said one injection every 3 days????:( I don't know what to think about this now.

sadly not, we are taught very little about rabbits in general, despite their popularity! at my college rabbits are still considered "exotic" pets and taught in a module along with lizards, snakes and birds! likewise, many vets do not carry rabbit-specific drugs and other remedies. a friend is a drugs rep for the company that sells both bio-lapis and fibreplex and he has learnt more in his 3 months training than he ever did at college! its a major concern and there is such a shortfall of rabbit-knowledgeable vets.

sadly not, we are taught very little about rabbits in general, despite their popularity! at my college rabbits are still considered "exotic" pets and taught in a module along with lizards, snakes and birds! likewise, many vets do not carry rabbit-specific drugs and other remedies. a friend is a drugs rep for the company that sells both bio-lapis and fibreplex and he has learnt more in his 3 months training than he ever did at college! its a major concern and there is such a shortfall of rabbit-knowledgeable vets.

I had to see a few vets before any of them would believe me when I said I thought it was Syphilis...I had all sorts of lotions and medicine which did nothing.

But can things not be changed so as Vet Students get a better knowledge base of the third most popular domestic pet :?
It really is worrying to think that training of new Vets is still not dedicating much time to Rabbits.

Who is the Governing Body that oversees the Syllubas for Veterinary Medicine?

Sorry to hijack your thread Charm........:oops:

Hi,

Sorry not to have been on. Back to vets tonight Bunny is really a lot better and has put on a bit of weight. She had another check up tonight and they decided to give her a 4th injection but she really has a clear nose and her genitals are also clear. Her little friend has just had her 3rd injection too. So thats it for 3 weeks to see how they get on. I just wish I had know about this back in May it would have saved her an awful lot of discomfort. We have also bought Bunny inside for the winter because she had lost so much weight. The rest of our Buns are in the hut where they should be safe and dry. Bunny has come on a power,treated her to a new bed too which she loves not to sleep in but the fling about her pen lol. Will post pics of her asap.

Thanks girls for all your advice and help.:wave::D

Hi,

Sorry not to have been on. Back to vets tonight Bunny is really a lot better and has put on a bit of weight. She had another check up tonight and they decided to give her a 4th injection but she really has a clear nose and her genitals are also clear. Her little friend has just had her 3rd injection too. So thats it for 3 weeks to see how they get on. I just wish I had know about this back in May it would have saved her an awful lot of discomfort. We have also bought Bunny inside for the winter because she had lost so much weight. The rest of our Buns are in the hut where they should be safe and dry. Bunny has come on a power,treated her to a new bed too which she loves not to sleep in but the fling about her pen lol. Will post pics of her asap.

Thanks girls for all your advice and help.:wave::D

Glad she is doing well :)

Back