• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

panacur for rabbits

hi as you are aware bonny is very poorly at the mo and there is a very good chance that it is E cuniculi.

i just called the vets and asked if i could have some panacur to administer to my other bunnies but i was told to wait until i see the exotic vet tomorrow. surely if it is given to bunnies as a matter of course then why should i wait till tomorrow.

I am very much concerned about bonny and the last thing i want to happen is for my other buns to get the possible e cuniculi. surely it won't do the any harm!!!!!!!!

I looked into panacur a lot and it is a very safe drug for rabbits, and its very hard, if not impossible to administer an overdose to them. I can understand your wanting to do something today rather than tomorrow, I am the same way. They sell Equine panacur at feed stores, garden centers and sometimes petstores, you could just call around to find out who has it. :)

hi as you are aware bonny is very poorly at the mo and there is a very good chance that it is E cuniculi.

i just called the vets and asked if i could have some panacur to administer to my other bunnies but i was told to wait until i see the exotic vet tomorrow. surely if it is given to bunnies as a matter of course then why should i wait till tomorrow.

I am very much concerned about bonny and the last thing i want to happen is for my other buns to get the possible e cuniculi. surely it won't do the any harm!!!!!!!!

Hi, as the others have said it will do no harm. Get the panacur and get them started, regardless of what the vet said. I'd treat for the 28/29 days (mind gone blank). If it is EC then the preventative 9 days isn't enough.

As jane said you can get Panacur in various places including PAH. Give your closest one a call and see if the SQP is present to dispense.

Good luck x

It's 6 weeks for an active case of EC. I agree - give PAH a call and see if you can get hold of some Panacur. Good luck!!

Back