• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental Problems

louiser

Young Bun
I had to leave Sally my rabbit at the vets last night as she has sharp spurs on her back teeth and needs a dental operation today. I noticed she hadn't eaten much for a few days. :(

Also I decided to get her spayed at the same time, the vet advised this would be a good idea to do while she is under the anesthetic. She is a very stropy and moody bunny, the vet said getting spayed would help with that.

Does anyone have any hints or tips on how to help her recover when I collect her later? She is an outdoor bunny but I will be keeping her indoors while she is recovering.

Also the vet said the dental problem would be an ongoing thing, does anyone know how often this would need to be done?

Thanks for any comments

Louise

Whilst you are keeping her inside just try to make her a space that is as peaceful as possible with some nice foods and fresh water. She will be quite quiet for about a day but try and encourage her to eat. Before you leave the vet ask if she has had a long term painkiller or if you can take some away to administer yourself later on.

Does she eat a lot of hay/grass? If not then encouraging her to eat more could help keep the dental problems at bay. I would take her for a checkup after 6 months if your vet doesn't advise something sooner.

Hiya, good luck with your bunny today.
I always have found that my does have a harder time recovering from the spey than the bucks as its a much more involved and invasive proceedure.
I would have plenty of food in to tempt her when she comes home.
I find often veg that my buns dont usually have, have tempted them vefore like kale and spinach. Herbs too they seem to like, lavender and mint etc. Maybe its cos they're stronger tasting and smelling.
If bunny normally drinks from a bottle I would give her a bowl of water next to her within reach as often they wont eat if they feel a bit dehydrated.
With regard to her molar spurs, has the vet given you any dietary advise?
The problem may well be genetic andnot dietary related but you can help alot with making sure they either dont form again or it taking longer for them to form by making sure she eats plenty of hay in her diet.
Does she have fresh hay available 24/7? Making sure she is not having alot of dry/pelleted feed will also encourage her more to eat hay. If you think you may want to look at her diet more closely just post here what she has at the mo and I'm sure people would be able to advise you.
Though most importantly is to get her eating again after her op as with having a dental as well as a spey she is likely to feel very worse for wear.
After a spey as well as her GA the vet should give her a long lasting painkiller, which may need to be toppedup if you feel she is still in pain a day or so later.
Also it is worth asking your vet if they give a gut stimulant as standard after the op. It's called Metaclopromide I think. Some people's vets do give thm as standard. I know my vet does not. So considering what she's going through it would prob be an idea to check what your vet will give and see if they will give it to her, i think it would help her along a bit.
Sorry I've rambled on! :oops: I hope some of that's helpful. Let us know how she gets on x x x

ETA. oh yes do check her wound on her belly every day to make sure it shows no sign or inflammation or soreness and make sure she's not fiddling with it etc. IThe area will be shaved and stitched (or glued perhaps :?) and should look very clean and not sore. If it becomes red or inflammed it may be an infection and she'd need the vet asap x x your vet will prob ask you back in a weeks time to check it all x

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments.

Sally is fine, I kept her indoors for a few nights but she didn't like it, so she is now back in her hutch and a happy bunny! No problems with the op and she has had her check up and her wound is fine. The vet gave me some Fibreplex to give her to help her start eating again but didn't need much and she has been munching on hay and grass. I have reduced her pellets right down, also the vet has given me some pro-biotic (can't remember the name) pellets to add to her normal pellets, this will help with her upset tummy. She suffers with diorrhea (sp!) now and then.

She seems alot happier too and doesn't stomp whenever i go near her hutch, she used to stomp if i was hanging the washing out!!

This is Sally before the op looking grumpy!

P5290076.jpg

Back