• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Hocks and liquid band aids

cassiebun

Alpha Buck
Does anyone know if it would be a good idea to use liquid band aids on
a rabbit that has somewhat calloused, pinkish hocks with a missing fur spot, in order to protect him from further soreness? My bun has the beginning of sore hocks and I want to stop it in its tracks. I wonder also if it would be a good idea to use vet wrap over the liquid band aid to prevent him from ingesting the substance/glue or whatever it is? He is currently on vetbed and lives indoors so he is as comfortable as he can be at the moment but I want to address this problem before it possibly gets any worse. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know if it would be a good idea to use liquid band aids on
a rabbit that has somewhat calloused, pinkish hocks with a missing fur spot, in order to protect him from further soreness? My bun has the beginning of sore hocks and I want to stop it in its tracks. I wonder also if it would be a good idea to use vet wrap over the liquid band aid to prevent him from ingesting the substance/glue or whatever it is? He is currently on vetbed and lives indoors so he is as comfortable as he can be at the moment but I want to address this problem before it possibly gets any worse. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Personally I would never use anything like 'Liquid Bandaid' on sore hocks.
It may seel in bacteria if the skin is at all broken and it hurst like :censored: when applied !!

For very mild sore hocks some Aloe Vera Gel or Sudocrem can be useful. For more severe cases Flamazine Cream, a Prescription Only medication, is very good.

Any bandaging needs to alleviate direct pressure on the sore area. I create a large 'corn plaster' by cutting a hole in a thick gauze swab and place the swab so as the hole exposes the sore area and raises it off the ground. The swab is held in place by micropore tape and then a cohesive bandage. It is essential to insure the bandage is not too tight and that it remains clean and dry. I change the dressing at least twice a day.

You need to consider what substrate your Rabbit is kept on. Hard surfaces (concrete, Vinyl or wood floors) are not a good idea and neither is carpet.
The best substrate is very, very deep soft straw or hay with the Bun having some time out on grass too.

Sore hocks can occur as a secondary symptom of another underlying problem.
These can include loss of 'power' in the hind legs due to arthritic pain or EC.

Obesity will contribute to the developement of sore hocks as will toenails that are too long.

Finally some breeds, Rexes in particular, are generally more at risk of hock problems.

Hope some of the above is helpful :)

Last edited:
Thank you so much Jack's Jane, I greatly appreciate it.
Last night in bed I was thinking that maybe I should buy the liquid band aid and apply it on my own foot at the place which is most like his foot like the beginning of the heel and see what it feels like, but now I'll save the trouble as you answered my question that it hurts the bunny. After trying to google and answer to my question, I read on an eopinions site that that liquid bandaids are breathable, but that doesn't make sense really to me.
Thank you so much for the information on the thick gauze with the corn hole, that is really smart and I'm going out to get that today.
I already started him on panacur as I thought of that too, what you said about it being due to something else. I wanted to worm him anyway after reading about preventative care in the this section all summer. Right now, I am guessing that it's from being stressed from moving and from my being away subsequently for many days. My family said he sat in one place
on the tile floor in the kitchen when I was gone and I think thats probably why the soreness started. He is a very big boy but he is on the thin side.
I have saved your post to a file so I can reference it with everything you wrote, it is so informative. Many many thanks again :)

Thank you so much Jack's Jane, I greatly appreciate it.
Last night in bed I was thinking that maybe I should buy the liquid band aid and apply it on my own foot at the place which is most like his foot like the beginning of the heel and see what it feels like, but now I'll save the trouble as you answered my question that it hurts the bunny. After trying to google and answer to my question, I read on an eopinions site that that liquid bandaids are breathable, but that doesn't make sense really to me.
Thank you so much for the information on the thick gauze with the corn hole, that is really smart and I'm going out to get that today.
I already started him on panacur as I thought of that too, what you said about it being due to something else. I wanted to worm him anyway after reading about preventative care in the this section all summer. Right now, I am guessing that it's from being stressed from moving and from my being away subsequently for many days. My family said he sat in one place
on the tile floor in the kitchen when I was gone and I think thats probably why the soreness started. He is a very big boy but he is on the thin side.
I have saved your post to a file so I can reference it with everything you wrote, it is so informative. Many many thanks again :)

No problem :)

If he is on the skinny side I'd keep a check on his weight. Maybe weigh him twice a week. Also keep an eye on his drinking. Excessive drinking and weightloss merit a Veterinary consult.

Good luck :)

No problem :)

If he is on the skinny side I'd keep a check on his weight. Maybe weigh him twice a week. Also keep an eye on his drinking. Excessive drinking and weightloss merit a Veterinary consult.

Good luck :)
Thanks for that, I'll weigh him everyday since I have to pick him up everyday for the panacur & dressings anyway. Many thanks again :D

Back