• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunnies getting their teeth out

Lisa_82

New Kit
It has been recommended to us that Bailey gets his front top and bottom teeth removed because they are growing in squint and grow really fast.

Has anyone any experience of this? I'm worried he won't be able to eat all his favourite foods.

Our bunny Alfie had both sets of incisors out & managed really well with all his favourite foods. It just meant we had to shred his veg & chop his grass & hay up into little pieces. Made him a perfect housebunny, because he couldn't chew things in the house! He really didn't mind having no front teeth & was back eating normally the same day as his op :D Hope it all goes well, if you go ahead with the op.

Yes bunnies do manage really well without their incisors. For our toothless bunnies we grate their carrot and shred greens etc. They manage fine with dried food and hay. They are also unable to pull grass directly from the lawn so you need to pull it for them.

Sometimes it can be hard for the vets to remove every last piece of tooth as they have such long roots. If even a tiny piece is left in it can start to grow again. This may take several months to grow back so it is worth checking his mouth regularly afterwards. Also make sure they check his back teeth while he is under the GA as bunnies with wonky front teeth can have back teeth problems. However it is possible that these can right themselves once the front teeth have been removed :D

How weird, I've just been looking into this because it might end up relevant to me in the near future.

I have a friend who has one with no front teeth, and it needs veges cut up but other than that, it eats a normal diet. It just took him a while to get used to not having those teeth to cut things with.

Back