• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sniper hare U/D Deplumed U/D something is wrong

Raven Rexs

Mama Doe
Sniper the naughty little Man is due to have his bits off in the hope that his agression will die down even the littlest bit, next thursday is there anything i should be aware of.....

Last edited:
Obviously you'll know not to starve him prior to the op as rabbits don't need this.

Make sure he has some of his favourite 'grub' ready for when he wakes in an effort to get him eating as quickly as possible.

Keep him somewhere warm and quiet when he gets home and only use bedding in his cage that isn't bitty and likely to stick to him....many just use newspaper.

Don't panic too much if he isn't tucking into his food afterwards, as for some it takes a wee while.

Check him to make sure he hasn't bothered the area.

Any concerns contact your vet.

We've had no problems (touch wood) with any that we've put through.

Good luck :)

would be worth putting some carpet down in his hutch then instead of paper as he digs badly?
how long does it take to heal? can i still pick him up or will the stitches rip?

would be worth putting some carpet down in his hutch then instead of paper as he digs badly?
how long does it take to heal? can i still pick him up or will the stitches rip?

Something like vet bedding is good to use.

With a male neuter the sutures are all hidden in the scrotum, and the skin edges are glued together to hopefully prevent the wound being opened. As a rule you can pick them up and will need to, to check all is well. Just be gentle :)

Healing time isn't that long. He should only need a few days inside or in a warm and quiet environment before getting back to normal :)

Something like vet bedding is good to use.

With a male neuter the sutures are all hidden in the scrotum, and the skin edges are glued together to hopefully prevent the wound being opened. As a rule you can pick them up and will need to, to check all is well. Just be gentle :)

Healing time isn't that long. He should only need a few days inside or in a warm and quiet environment before getting back to normal :)

i hope not totally to normal as i really would feel better if the aggression was toned down a bit.

i hope not totally to normal as i really would feel better if the aggression was toned down a bit.

Heh heh.....I mean normal as in healthy ;) Remember it can still take 6-8 weeks for the 'hormones' to regress, so don't expect immediate change.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

You might want to check his Plums daily to make sure there's not excessive swelling. They do go dark & look very bruised, but just check that his stitches are intact & there's no swelling or pus around them if he's been picking.

He needs keeping warm after GA, so can you keep him indoors?

My vet checks at 3 days & again at 10 days if stitches need removing (sometimes dissolvable - depends on which vet I get!) or if there was swelling.

Remember he's still fertile for 6 weeks after.

He may be a bit slow to start eating after GA, so have some of his fave treats handy. If that continues you might want to talk to vet about more pain relief.

Good luck:D

It does sort a lot of problems. It could be pain related though - while he is under GA, why not ask vet to check in his ears/his teeth/feel his spine?:D They won't charge extra & it's another thing crossed off your list of Why My Bun Is A :censored::lol:

All our male neuters have been pretty straight forward. I checked them underneath everyday to check that there is no excessive swelling or pus and make sure it's not looking very 'angry'. All our have been glued on the outside so no stitches to worry about.
I always try and make sure I've got some herbs etc available for when they come home as I often find some herbs tempt them to eat when nothing else will.
As Angie says I always ask that mine have a thorough teeth check and health check while they're under the GA anyway even if they show no health problems as I just like to know!!
Good luck I hope it calms him done eventually but as others have said it may take a good few weeks x x

Had his op yesterday checked his bits tonite and the right hand side one is just like hes still got a testicle but its full of fluid anyone had this at all is he going to die i cant take any more deaths plz :cry::cry::cry:

Squidgy had a swollen testicle, and he just needed a course of antibiotics to get rid of the swelling.
Did the vet give antibiotics for you to give as a matter of course?

Try not to worry - if he's eating and pooping, he'll be fine. Just needs the swelling sorting out.

Sometimes they do come up like that, it's a bit like a big blood blister. I'd give the vet a call in the morning just to check if they want to see him or he needs any extra pain relieve but otherwise it will just go down as he heals :)

Sometimes they do come up like that, it's a bit like a big blood blister. I'd give the vet a call in the morning just to check if they want to see him or he needs any extra pain relieve but otherwise it will just go down as he heals :)

Theres no blood just a huge sac of water type stuff:shock:

no he didnt not even pain meds but he eating and drinking and trying to still bite me :roll:

Well, that sounds quite normal then!!
Squidgy worried us as he was eating and eating but nothing was coming out the other end:shock: He did finally start to poo, and was absolutely fine.
Sending lots of vibes to your bun.

I was a nervous wreck when i got my males done. Id only ever done my females and had no experience!

I was back at the Vets, two days after panicing, they told it was all normal and not to worry.

If your at all worried, call your Vets and pop him down!!

When Pippin (or was it Oxo? - twin buns) had his op one of his plums was swollen. When I phoned the vet she said to touch it gently to see if it felt hot (not a good sign as this could indicate infection) it didn't but she suggested I took him in for some pain relief.

Do you have any Matacam?

Rabswood

The first bun I had neutered had one sack that really swelled up. Vet said to keep a close eye, have a feel around and see if he responded as if there were pain. He didnt and after 24 hours it had gone down.
I would give your vet a call, perhaps he has developed a bit of an infectiona dn a quick trip for antibios and painreleif should do the trick.
Good luck x

Hedgehog was swollen on one side and the wound was oozing slightly so the vets kept him in overnight. I got him back, kept him on baytril for a week (they prescribed it) and now he's absolutely fine. The swelling has gone down loads although it looked really alarming to begin with. Hope that helps...

Back