• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits cure for depression?

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks.

Up until last year I had a well paid Medical PA job and worked my ass off. I was diagnosed with bi-polar (manic depression) and ended up losing my job and my salary.

I had my cats but they are very independent and come and go as they please through the numerous cat flaps we have. They are happy as long as they have food, water and a comfy place to sleep. I love my cats but sometimes I dont think they love me!!!

ONe day I went into the Pet Shop for fish food and came out with Lola, my lionhead rabbit. Yes, it was a very impulsive rash decision, I didnt know anything about rabbits but I knew I could not leave tiny Lola in that horrible cage.

I left the pet shop £100 lighter and headed home and swotted up on rabbit care.

Since then Lola has changed my life. Due to my medication I am often "hungover" on a morning but I know I have to get up and see to her and seeing her on her back legs stood up for a tickle on a morning melts my heart.

Lola has given me more purpose in my life - and I know she is only a "rabbit" but just seeing ehr makes me smile (even on a bad day) and I am often left howling with laughter at her antics!

I wuv my bunny x x

I understand exactly where you're coming from Cat, I already had 3 bunnies when I was diagnosed with severe depression last November. Since then, we've gone up to 13 - although we have lost 2 recently. I am convinced my bunnies have pulled me out of my depression & helped me get well again - I like to think of my bunnies as little people in furry coats :D

Had it not been for them, I'm sure I would not have even surfaced out of bed some days. Sometimes I'm sure some people don't understand the strength my buns have given me, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

totally agree

I would not say I have been depressed in a medical sense...but since getting them i do feel like i have a purpose....and they never fail to cheer me up

I loved my cats too but buns are very special in that theyre so dependent on you.

Hi folks.

Up until last year I had a well paid Medical PA job and worked my ass off. I was diagnosed with bi-polar (manic depression) and ended up losing my job and my salary.

I had my cats but they are very independent and come and go as they please through the numerous cat flaps we have. They are happy as long as they have food, water and a comfy place to sleep. I love my cats but sometimes I dont think they love me!!!

ONe day I went into the Pet Shop for fish food and came out with Lola, my lionhead rabbit. Yes, it was a very impulsive rash decision, I didnt know anything about rabbits but I knew I could not leave tiny Lola in that horrible cage.

I left the pet shop £100 lighter and headed home and swotted up on rabbit care.

Since then Lola has changed my life. Due to my medication I am often "hungover" on a morning but I know I have to get up and see to her and seeing her on her back legs stood up for a tickle on a morning melts my heart.

Lola has given me more purpose in my life - and I know she is only a "rabbit" but just seeing ehr makes me smile (even on a bad day) and I am often left howling with laughter at her antics!

I wuv my bunny x x

its the same here. ive been feeling better for a bit but no matter how bad a mood i am in the rabbits seem to give me a sense of calmness and a feeling of being loved

I agree. I suffer on/off depression and before I got bunnies I was suicidal. Now I have someone to live for, work for and love and be loved back by. Also many humans have let me down, its made me wary of them but my rabbits have never failed me. They are little angels and life savers and I owe everything to them.

Back