• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

English Lops

Yeah Ive been reading since I got back and treading on their ears seems to be a problem mentioned as does ear wax build up......they were SO gorgeous though!!

Evie had awful ear wax, the vets did talk about her having them flushed under GA.

You also have to keep their nails really short to stop them damaging their ears when they walk or scratch

Personally as beautiful as they are, I think its cruel to breed them with such huge ears but each to their own!

Have to admit that I have been lucky, Edgar has bouncies around the house 24/7 and has never damaged his ears. He has never had an ear infection either, the vet says that his ears are really clean. He was diagnosed with EC last week (thank God he is now much better and is back to his normal naughty self), but any bun can get that.

I have seen pictures of English lops with completely shredded ears though. :(

Here's my boy. :love:

SUC51739.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thought I would share some info from a breeders point of view.

English Lops do not require much extra care with regard to their ears.

They should be kept on approx 3 inches of bedding Shavings and Barley straw. Nails should be checked and trimmed if needed every 4 weeks, more often when younger as the ears do not thicken up until they are around 4 months old.

They also should have the ears checked monthly, using a baby wipe on your finger to remove any wax inside the ear is quite effective.

They are a great breed and a small amount of extra care is a very small price to pay.

All the best...
Sara x

"Rudley Stud"
Preserving a rare & beautiful breed
www.rudley-stud.webs.com

Edgar is a lovely boy and you obviously take great care of him.

Thank you Rudley Stud for giving your perspective of English Lops. Like a lot of pedigree dogs, I believe the English Lop should not be bred. Man has decided that this is a beautiful breed and Im sure the rabbit doesn't care if his ears are bigger than other breeds. The breed's ears are simply too big to allow the rabbit to live comfortably, without an expert home and perhaps as house rabbits. I believe they should continue to be a rare breed. However, my local pet shop had one for sale recently:roll:

Back