• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worming your rabbit, is it a must??

claire193

Young Bun
I took my new little bunny to the vets last week for her myxi jab as she is 12 weeks and the vet told me about worming for some sort of illness they can get. I have had 5 bunnys now and never heard of worming for rabbits before. my other rabbit who is 3 years at christmas has never had it done. My question is how important is it? is it necessary like the myxi and vhd jab are? hugs claire xx

:wave: Hi i personally would recommend using Pancar, which is given to buns as a precautionary and when a bun as EC.I too have never used it before coming on RU, but use it every 6 months now for Poppy & Roo.EC is very nasty and life threatening, But other experienced members will fill you in.I use the paste,and my 2 buns lick it off their spring greens. Plus it is not expensive to buy, and will treat 2-3 buns.Anyway hope that helps.:DDeb.

Hi Claire, i would say that panacuring your buns is as necessary as the VHD/Myxi jabs. Unlike VHD/Myxi EC creeps up slowly so it really is best to administer it as a preventative measure.

When b had her jabs done in may i asked the vet and she said she didn't know much about it and would get back to me.so will see what she says when b gets her jabs in oct.

I would recommend it.....does for worming and helps prevent agains EC. Well worth it in my opinion, if i had known about it prior to kermit having EC, it may have prevented him having it.

Some research showed that 50% of rabbits in the UK may have E.C. :shock:

It doesn't always show symptoms but when it does do damage the damage can't be reversed, so it's best to prevent it rather than treat it when it shows up.

I think a lot of rabbits might die from E.C. and because of the E.C. related symptoms like incontinence or senility the owners put it down to 'old age'. A lot of people think rabbits only live 5 years or so, but they can live a lot longer than that.

I know this is an old thread, but I have just found it and need some advice.

Eric and Ernie have had both their Myxi and VHD jabs.

SHould I wait for their next Myxi jab to give them Panacur or can I give it to them straight away?

Where can I buy Panacur - Vets or Pet shop?

How often to they have it? Every day or just a one off?

Please help.I didn't realise I should be givng them treatment for this?

I know this is an old thread, but I have just found it and need some advice.

Eric and Ernie have had both their Myxi and VHD jabs.

SHould I wait for their next Myxi jab to give them Panacur or can I give it to them straight away?

Where can I buy Panacur - Vets or Pet shop?

How often to they have it? Every day or just a one off?

Please help.I didn't realise I should be givng them treatment for this?

lapizole is the one off wormer but you have to give a higer dosage.. pannacur needs to be done as a 9day course 4times a year... it can be bought cheaply on ukvet online and the dog cat one is fine as long as you knwo the dosages not sure about tejhm having it at same time as jabs.. pm hugo's there or jacks jane they both know a lot about pannacur!!

you can, and should, give them it straight away.....its usually a paste in a tube.

You give it to each for once a day for 9 days course, 2 times a year at 6 month intervals.

You can buy it online, just google panacur rabbit paste.

Back