• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to dry out grass, dandelions etc

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
we have sooo much yummy stuff in our garden for the bunnies and often give it to them fresh, but i would like to try some stuff to mix in with oru herby bags to make them last longer etc, and i just bought them a 'salad' from PAH and it has dried dandelion in it and they loved it

so how do i dry it out?

I've dried out two bin liners full of dandelions ready for the winter.

I'd pulled mine up by the roots so initially hung them upside down over a washing line in the garage for three days. Then I broke the plant down to separate the leaves and put them between sheets of clean dry paper (I used some lining paper for walls that has no treatment on it) and layered them paper/leaves/paper etc.
They dry out quite quickly, so were ready to be put in a clean dry box within a week or so. I just made sure that once in the box I'd aerate them/turn them every day for a few days until they were completely dry.

Be prepared to see a huge mountain of leaves dry down to quite a small pile - they must be about 90% water!

I've done the same with all rose bush trimmings and petals, and other plants that they love to eat.
I've got a couple of sacks ready for the winter:D

Ive read on another thread that you can put them in the oven on a low heat, will this be the same :?

I wouldn't use the oven as they dry out too quickly and the beneficial elements can be lost or greatly reduced.

I dry out mixes for the buns and use the airing cupboard. You can hang them in paper bags, or upside down as has already been said, or layer them up between clean sheets of paper. The buns love it and it means they can carry on eating the same variety of leaves and flowers through the winter.:D

I wouldn't use the oven as they dry out too quickly and the beneficial elements can be lost or greatly reduced.

I dry out mixes for the buns and use the airing cupboard. You can hang them in paper bags, or upside down as has already been said, or layer them up between clean sheets of paper. The buns love it and it means they can carry on eating the same variety of leaves and flowers through the winter.:D

what sort of paper do you use?

Ive been wondering about this myself as i buy a lot of dried herb mixes and resent spending money on stuff that grows in my garden anyway :lol::lol:

Back