• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is william molting?

AprilLynne

Warren Scout
I think william's started molting, but I'm not really sure...

He has a patch of fur on his shoulder blade (no other spots like this on him) that looks like the longer tan baby fur is coming away to show short dark fur.

I'm not sure what seasons rabbits molt during. How long does it last? And how does it molt - will he do these patches everywhere and do I need to "help" by brushing it off daily?

I'll post a photo later tonight when I'm home from work if that would help.

Many thank you's!!!

My fosters are moulting at the moment - so wouldn't be surprised if he is!

Yes, grooming is a good idea as it limits the amount that is ingested when they groom themselves. Lots of hair in tummy is bad as it can lead to gut blockages and stasis :(

Hiya,

On many rabbit colours the fur is different shades along the length so the tips might be tan and the base grey. When they moult you see different sections of the fur to you would usually so you can end up with circles and lines of colour. These do disappear when the moult is all finished. If you blow into a normal patch of fur you may be able to see the different colours revealed.

Brushing will help remove lose fur and is also a good way to bond with your bunny. You may find a comb more effective than a brush though and many soft brushes only do the surface and don't remove the undercoat :)

Tamsin

Back