• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Belgian Hare

Poppymum

Alpha Buck
Im starting my homework on a bud for Jasmine. Im unsure whether to go down the breeder or rescue route.

Ive always been an admirier of this breed, but cant find much info on them.
Does anyone here have any experience with them? what they are like to own? any special requirements? if they make good pets etc? what I should look out for if I do decide to have one.

Obv whichever route I will go down, it would have to be neutered before meeting Jasmine ( because of her health probs she cant be spayed )

So can anyone help?

I have one called Red. ( he was a rescue)

He lives quiet happily with all the other buns (abt 6) in a 6x8 Shed with a 6x10 walk in run.

When he runs around the grass he gets up quite a speed.

I don't think that they (IMO) Would be suitable to live in hutches. He's not to keen on being handled but loves nose rubs.

He is quite lazy and spends most of his day in his basket!

He is a pleasure to be around

This is my beautiful Django, he is 7 months old
Djangointube2.jpg

We decide long ago that we wanted to share our home with Belgian Hare, after being enchanted by a little girl who once boarded with us. But over the years due to the dynamics with our other rabbits it was never possible until earlier this year when we had two bunnies sadly pass away close together.

He is happy affectionate and loving, he's smart, and very in tune with us. Everyone who meets him seems to fall in love with him. He's been well handled from a young age, and when I carry him around my husband says he looks like little Lord Fawtleroy!!! :lol:

awwww, he is too cute.

in what way are they not suited to a hutch? because of their size/temperment?

Well
I think size and the fact that i feel no bunnies should live in a hutch, a shed is much better.

This is just my opinion i'm sure there must be some that live in hutches quiet happily. Its just something i wouldn't do.

Red is very very active at night and if he were in a hutch he wouldn't be able to dig and gerenrally create havoc as he does.

He is however very very lazy during the day. He is the only BH i have had so i can't compare his behaviour to any others

I have a six month old rescued belgian hare, his nick name is ASBO BUN,(real name Rusty), he is very lively,friendly and loves toys, makes wonderful confettie,drags his bedding out in to his run, tips up his litter tray,there is never a dull moment. He lives in alarge hutch with 8x3.5 run. I love him to bits:love:.IMO hares need space, lots of attention, and an expirienced owner(just like all buns only more so)

Back