• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ADVICE? Rabbits fixed but not eating

Antonea808

New Kit
I just had my rabbits fixed and it is 9.30pm in Oregon and i have had them home for a few hours but they haven't really eaten. My male buns has nibbled on a carrot only. However, my female hasn't touched a thing. The female seem very traumatized by everything and hasn't really gotten up. My little boyhas gotten up and moved a bit around the carrier (i have to keep them enclosed and separate... so one is in a dog carrier and the other the cage).

I will be calling the Vet's office immediately at 8am because i am so worried but i would appreciate it if someone can give me some advice as soon as possible. I don't think i will sleep well tonight at all. These are my first bunnies and i have read a lot about them and i reeeeeaaallly don't want to be one of those neglectful owners.

How long is it okay for them not to eat (or eat much) until it becomes risky?
Should i try to hold my little girl bun to comfort her or something else?
Even before they got fixed, the female was very very scared and now it just seems worse. I am so worried.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!

I'd keep an eye on them and keep them warm but it is a shock to their system and it's normal for them to be subdued afterwards. Normally after the first night you'll see a big improvement. Try offering dandelions/the most tempting food possible...

If they haven't eaten after 24hrs I'd be very worried. As Tinsel said try tempting them with favourite foods and fresh grass. I'd check with the vet that they have had a long lasting pain killer when you phone up

Hmm.... I will wait til about noon or so tomorrow. In the morning i will give them their medicine and try to tempt them with an apple.
Even getting my little girl some water isn't going well.
Basil, the male, has been eating much better and been moving around. But, as i said, the other isn't doing too well. She just sits, doesn't even lay down.
If she doesn't eat soon, what will the vet do? Does anyone know?
I was also wondering when i could reunite the two rabbits. Probably after a week to give them time to heal?

Thanks for the advice and info everyone! I really appreciate it. I feel like everyday i learn something new about rabbits and i love it. :)

It's a bigger op for girls so she's likely to be more traumatised than him... The vet should have put her on painkillers but keep trying with the food-tempting...

Update

JRN, they are doing so much better.
My little girl, Paprika, has been very lively. Maybe a bit too lively as i want her to take it easy while she is still healing.
My male, Basil, recovered very quickly. Quicker than Paprika, but her surgery was more invasive so it makes sense.
Thank you for asking!

P.S. My buns are already starting to go potty in one area. I can't wait until they can roam around my place!

That's great they are both doing better :)

Neuters and spays can really be nervewracking, as you found out, but its worth it in the end.

Back