• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets @ Home- Vaccinations

JellyBelly

Mama Doe
I noticed today that my local P@H are now vaccinating agaisnt myxi before the buns go on sale.
Which i think is a step in the right direction.

So thumbs up for them!

Nope there was a big sign in the main pen saying 'we now vaccinate against myxi'.

They also had open days during the holidays, concentrating on a different animal each time. They also have a new booklet 'which is the right pet for me'.

Doubt its a freebie in p@h :shock: Its a step in the right direction, not seen anything like that in our store yet though. Theres a poor giant bunny in our store whos got a sign up saying hes poorly :( poor thing.

I actually havent read the booklet, i lost it as soon as i got home!

:lol:

It's good with the basics, good cage, company or not as appropriate, toys, food, clean water. It says all the animals need mineral/salt licks too :roll:

TBH if anyone got a pet solely based on that book and without doing any research I think they should have their head checked :lol:but that's just me.

And the booklet says that if a buck and doe are to live together only the buck needs castrated, they don't mention spaying the doe at all :roll:

Glad their doing vaccinations though.

Yep....I work for PAH as you know and have complained about many of the things in the booklet. Whilst I understand it's aimed at children, unfortunately many of our clientele will read this and take it as gospel and then 'kick off' when we tell them exactly how it is.

The vaccinations don't make the cost of the rabbit more. Whilst I agree it's a good thing to be doing, I would prefer it if we did the neutering as the most important thing, but that's just my opinion.

Yep....I work for PAH as you know and have complained about many of the things in the booklet. Whilst I understand it's aimed at children, unfortunately many of our clientele will read this and take it as gospel and then 'kick off' when we tell them exactly how it is.

Maybe one day they'll realise/listen, although I suppose (and correct me if I'm wrong (which I hope I am)) if they mis-sell two buns and the owner comes in annoyed 'cos they've now got baby bunnies then the store can offer to take the babies and sell them - for a profit, which may be larger than if they'd got buns from a breeder?

You would have thought they might have cottoned on to the idea of neutering as good for their business. After all, less rabbits on the market means more people going to them. And less annoyed customers who won't return to them after having bought two same-sex animals and ending up with babies.

But then I've never understood why they don't offer larger housing - particularly those indoor wire cage thingys - or offer a better range of food.

Considerinf that Pets at home only pay £6 a rabbit selling them at £30 makes enough profit to neuture and vaccinate them also they dont have to feed them and house them for 8 wks, but it they neuture them aswell they wouldnt be able to sell them at that age as the females would have to be 5mths old:roll:

Back