• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

playhouse conversion U/D Girls Move In!!

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
Hi, just thought i would post some pics of my recent playhouse conversion. Spent ages poking around on the forum looking for ideas, advice and inspiration so thanks everyone, it was a massive help. Note my Dad is in all the pictures and i am not - he did all the building, i only did the tiling and "fetching stuff" and "holding stuff" so all the credit definately goes to him (and for givin up his time!)

The playhouse is a mad dash cherrydrop model, 4ft x 4ft at the base and about 5ft high. not as big as i would have liked but all i could afford and fit in the garden. it cost me £120 on ebay, brand new.

Started off fitting the windows to the frame. It came with perpex windows but i decided that would get too stuffy so replaced the bigger one with double layer mesh, for strength. The other is still perspex to prevent the house from becoming a wind tunnel, but can easily be swapped if it gets to warm next summer (if we ever see any sun!!). Because its a kids playhouse the doors have gaps around to stop you from trapping your fingers so there is extra ventilation there too.

shed-009.jpg

The house has 2 shelves - an L shape one 2ft above the floor and a straight one across the back, about 1 and a half feet above that. To make them easy to clean i covered them in lino, left over from doing our kitchen, so free. its cushioned and textured (a bit posh for bunnies!!) but i reckon it will make it less slippery and kinder on their feet. i used spray vinyl adhesive to stick it down (about £5 per can), and used 2 cans for the whole thing. The shelves were FREE from Ikea - dont know if this happens in every store but the Bristol one has a bin/cage with panels and battons and stuff from damaged and returned flatpacks and you can just take whatever you want. so there two were originally sides of a wardrobe!!

shed-040.jpg

shed-041.jpg

Next we (i.e. Dad) fitted the catflap that will let the buns out to the run 24/7. This was a bit of a mission to be honest. The flap came with good instructions but we didnt have a jigsaw, so after marking out the hole we had to drill small holes all the way around the edge, then join them together using just the thin blade from a hack saw, by hand (dad got sore hands!) and then file down the edges.

shed-023.jpg

shed-025.jpg

shed-028.jpg

Dad had the genius idea to put the 4way lock control on the outside so that if i want to change them i only have to lean over the outside and into the run, rather than crawl under the shelf!

So them we started building it. The floor lino runs under the walls so the buns can't rip it up. It went together really well and really easily. they supplied it with nails but Dad used screws so that the whole thing can be dismantled and moved via the roofrack if needed.

shed-010.jpg

shed-032.jpg

Some different views showing the shelf levels and stuff. the top shelf was originally going to be for storage but i soon realised the buns could jump that high so hopefully it will be a nice snuggly space in the roof for them.

shed-042.jpg

shed-043.jpg

shed-046.jpg

shed-045.jpg

shed-049.jpg

Then we put big bolts on the door - to keep the tigers out. Its a stable door, which is very handy so i can see what the buns are up to without having to open the whole thing. Also plan to make a mesh door for the summer so the whole thing or either half can be open for fresh air.

shed-031.jpg

The we did the roof felt, with a 18 inch overlap over the ridge to keep it water tight, and i put the overhang greater on the front to shelter the mesh window, as it is directly infront of the main shelf. hopefully it will be a nice lookout for the buns.

shed-048.jpg

funny picture of Dad doing the roof, the house is on one side of the deck and there wasnt enough room for him to balance to do one side, so for half an hour i had the very important job of holding him up to stop him from falling off the edge!!

Dad with the finished article (note getting dark!!)
shed-034.jpg

shed-036.jpg

Thats it so far. Still have to built the run next to it and add the beds, toys etc. I decided against ramps so have bought 2 hide box things that are a suitable height to help them to jump between the floor and shelves. I will post some more pics when all that happens!

thanks again to everyone who gave me advice and help. Cant wait to get it all finished and get some new residents!

(p.s. sorry some pics are sideways or upside down! dont know how to make them smaller either!)

Last edited:
well done to your dad! i did wonder how your bunnies were going to get from level to level, but then saw your bits about boxes lol

I was getting ever so excited for Jasmine and Daisy looking at that, they're going to love it. Nice and cushined for their delicate feet too :lol: I checked with the fosterer and she said they have fluffy and hairy hocks, so hopefully that will help prevent any sores forming. I can't wait to see them in it :D

They are great photo's bunnies will love living in there :love: Post lots of pics when you get your bunnies wont you :D

I was getting ever so excited for Jasmine and Daisy looking at that, they're going to love it. Nice and cushined for their delicate feet too :lol: I checked with the fosterer and she said they have fluffy and hairy hocks, so hopefully that will help prevent any sores forming. I can't wait to see them in it :D

Awwww I have just seen Jasmine and Daisy they are gorgeous and very lucky to be going to live in this playhouse :love:

I'm so pleased someone is giving them a chance, they have been here too long already!

And I agree Vicki, your dad rocks :lol:

Looks fab! Well done your Dad! :D This post would be really useful also for someone looking to do the same sort of thing as the pictorial guide is really helpful! :D Looking forward to seeing the bunnies using it! :D

Aw your Dad has done a great job!!! Jasmine & Daisy are going to love in there I'm sure - don't forget piccies when they move in :D

thanks everbody, really cant take the credit, as i said dad did most of it and you guys inspired it! will keep you posted when the run gets constructed and the bunnies move in

Thats amazing Vikki!! Theyre going to love it :D Will be living like Queens :) I really hope your homecheck goes well, theyre going to be such lucky bunnies :) *Goes to tell them about their new home :D*

Thats class, good job. hoping to do this for my bun's after christmas. hopefully will have enough saved for it. i'm sure your bun's will be so pleased with it. :p:love:

Wow! I want to see some pics of your buns inside please!!!

I know all too well about the excitement :) When I was building my new bun his first condo I was so exited I could hardly stand it! He was only in a 2x1 crate when I got him, so I was double exited!

But yes, pics of the happy buns in their new home!

U/D Run and toys etc

Just moved myself into the human house to start university on monday, but havent unpacked any of my own stuff because i was too busy finishing off the rabbit house, which Dad has now named Bunningham Palace!!!

Here are some pics of the run, its a 6x4x2 from Albany Pets in Essex. as its only half an house away from my house i decided to go and fetch it myself. the people there are really nice and helpful and all their stuff looks pretty solid.

P1090139.jpg

Its one of those fully folding jobs, good for when the buns go "on holiday" to my parents! But with the catflap i needed to remove one of the panels. took a while deciding how - didnt really want to cut the mesh as its fiddly and might leave sharp edges, and i wanted it intact so the buns can mow the lawn and dig for china every now and then. if i took a whole panel out the roof is not sufficiently supported, sooooo i took the hinges off one panel, flipped it over and reattached it in the middle. the panel now folds inwards to form a support beam for the roof, but can fold out to make the run entire again. i am going to add bolts to hold it together and one for the roof to keep it fox proof. i also put cabin hooks on to hold the run onto the house.

P1090151.jpg

P1090141.jpg

there is a small hatch in the top and the whole thing folds back so i can get in and play!

P1090140.jpg

it came with a free shelter which is a bit naff and not well made but i put it together anyway as its free and the buns can enjoy destroying it!

P1090150.jpg

also got them a warren as apparently its their favourite toy! think they were about £9.99 in most shops i went to, and the interchange about £7.99 but the RSPCA Southridge centre sells the interchange for £5.50 and the tunnels for £2.50 each!!!! total bargain!!

there is also a litter tray in there at the mo. i bought 2 incase the buns dont like to share, but i might put some sand or playbark or something in it as a rest stop - take the weight off those poor hocks!

P1090149.jpg

Inside the house is now almost done. there will be a proper wooden hide house as a step but it hasnt arrived yet, so the old carrier will do for now. will fill it with hay for when the buns arrive. there is also a fabric play tunnel on the ground floor, which i plan to use as play/fun space.

P1090147.jpg

The middle shelf has the litter tray and food and water bowls (these will move down if they start shoving them around!). and their bed, which will be full of straw. I have arbitrarily placed things inside, i'll see what they use and maybe rearrange things as we go. not sure if having the bed beside the window is good or bad??

P1090145.jpg

P1090146.jpg

top shelf (also waiting for the step) has a bunny igloo. this was the largest i could find but doesnt seem big enough for medium buns to me?? if they dont use it or cant get in it i'll probably turn it upside down and make it into another bed!

P1090144.jpg

i also have some wooden chews to add and some cardboard boxes they can destroy! i really hope they like it! Home check is at 1pm today (AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!) so hope it al goes well.

Last edited:
Home check is at 1pm today (AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!) so hope it al goes well.

Home check went really well, she loved the house and the run. still need to add some catches but i knew that anyway. Glad it was ok, can't wait to go and get the bunnies now. Only one more week....

awwwwww lucky buns to have such a brill pad to live in ! dont let my guys get a look at it they will get all demanding and thier place is pretty swanky too!

Back