• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - Urgent!! Poo stuck to rabbits fur!!

sunflower4357

Young Bun
Hiya

Please can someone advise me, My rabbit has a lump of poo stuck to her tail, its really hard and stuck on.

I have been at work all day and she was ok this morning but when i came back and checked on her i could see it straight away.

My other bun who shares the same cage is fine.

Any advice on how I can get this poo of without hurting her, i have tried to remove it but stoped as it was pulling on her fur... i have read online about bathing the bottom area, is this safe?

Thanks

You could try batheing it with some baby shampoo but then you have the problem of trying to dry her properly (although if she lives inside, that's not as bad).

If the fur is quite long, I'd just snip it out with some scissors.

Hi, I had a head tilt bunny once who occasionally used to get a pooey bum. If it was dried on, I would wash him in the kitchen sink (yeah, really!). I would just put a couple of inches of tepid water in the sink and then would hold him so that just his bum was sat in the water. He used to accept it really well. Once the poo was softened by the water, I would just pick it off. Take care though not to tear the skin as it's very thin. Once he was clean, I would dry him off with kitchen roll and he was fine.

Some other people recommend corn flour but I'm not sure if that's just on wet poo.

Hope he's OK.

:wave: I have heard that you can run corflour into it and that will help remove it (not tried it myself). In the past I have used Small animal shampoo (just a drop) in luke warm water, then dip a cotton wool pad in and squeeze it tightly so it is only damp and then wipe the bunny.

If it is really bad you may need to cut it out carefully.

Thanks everyone for the replies, all the shops were closed by this time so couldnt get no corn flour

I managed to get it off by using a bucket of warm water and a cloth i just kept dampening the area and trying to squeeze it of her fur, its now all completly off and clean

She was a bit frigtened at first and try to run off a few times but seemed considerably still throughout doing it, i didnt use any products as i didnt know what wud harm her as it is a delicate area

I tried to dry her off as well as i could with a towel and she is kept in the garage so hopefully it wont be too bad

I will check on her in the morning, she has fluffy there with her to keep her company

Thanks again everyone

Back