• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what am i in for..

nina

New Kit
hey im 13 and really love animals and i've waited so so so long too get a rabbit
and next weekend ill hopefully get 2 dwarf lops.
i was just wondering if any of you had any advice for when you first get rabbits. because some people say they love to be handled and some people say they hate it. and how do i litter train them? and how do i find out which fruits they like without giving them a bad tummy? i just want to be the best owner i can and prove to my family i can be responsible
please can i get some advice
thanks
x

Hello

Generally rabbits don't like to be handled. Some don't mind but most don't like it. Try to associate being handled with something nice like a treat.

Litter training is a lot easier when your rabbit is neutered. Rabbits usually go to toilet in one place. Once you find out where the rabbit goes to toilet put the litter tray there and put some nice hay in it so your rabbit can munch.

Check to see what veg your rabbit is used to when you get it and then gradually try small pieces to see if it likes others and then it shouldn't get an upset tummy.

Hello

Generally rabbits don't like to be handled. Some don't mind but most don't like it. Try to associate being handled with something nice like a treat.

Litter training is a lot easier when your rabbit is neutered. Rabbits usually go to toilet in one place. Once you find out where the rabbit goes to toilet put the litter tray there and put some nice hay in it so your rabbit can munch.

Check to see what veg your rabbit is used to when you get it and then gradually try small pieces to see if it likes others and then it shouldn't get an upset tummy.

thanks that helped a lot im so excited. do they need a LOT of attention because the thing is my mum wont let me have them so im having them at my dads and i could probably only go there every other day or 3 times a week as i have school and homework. but will that be ok. obviously my dad will take care of them when im not there but i want them to know im the owner and have a bond with them .... would this still be possible..
if anybody could tap back it would really be great...........
x

Rabbits actually need much more looking after than most people think. Would your dad be prepared to feed them, clean them out, check them over etc?

They need large accommodation, Dwarf Lops actually grow pretty big. I would have a good chat with your dad, as the main carer he would need to learn about bunnies too. Would he be happy to do that?

There is lots of info on here so have a search around and ask any questions no matter how silly you think it might be.

Do you have a hutch in mind? Post some pictures and we'll give opinions on them :D

Oh and welcome to the forum :wave:

they can be quite a challenge but are very rewarding. I would really recommend doing tons of research either on the net or get a good book, as I got mnine without really knowing what they required :oops::oops::oops: and they turned out to be more difficult than I anticipated. i do love them though :love:

best of luck and feel free to ask anything else you're not sure on.

yeah well my dad would feed them everyday and stuff .. i would clean them i mean its just not everyday i wont be there. thanks for the advice
yeah ive learnt a lot. read books and on the net and spoke to people at the pet shops and they've advized me hutches then my dad is going to build a run for them because he has quite a big garden. i think i know what im in for but i just dont want to go wrong. ive been thinking about it for a while and dont want to rush (actually cause my dad wont let me hehe)
but um yeah if anything comes to mind ill ask but thank you so so so much
oh and the hutch is um one from pets at home i think its the thistle one :S not to sure
x

Are you getting them from a pet shop or a rescue? Is it baby bunnies or older ones you are after? With a rescue you can usually see what size your bun will grow to as alot of people go to a pet shop and think that when they are buying Dwarf lop rabbits they are going to be small and they aren't. If you want small rabbits then you want either Mini lops or netherland dwarfs and don't let a pet shop tell you different. You will probably get more of the truth about keeping rabbits from a rescue than you would from a pet shop and also a rescue will give you the after care also. Another reason a rescue is better is because your rabbits will very often have been neutered and vaccinated and will work out alot cheaper than you getting it done.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of rabbits:D

im not too sure but thanks ill talk to my dad about that. i'll go have a look at my nearest rescue centre this weekend perhaps. yeah i know dwarf lops get big but i dont mind that inface i quite like it lol
well anymore advice anybody has it will be so much appreciated and thank you for all the advice above its really helping.

As previously mentioned, it depends on your bun, wether it likes being picked up or not. For instance my boy bun Phoebe, ive had him since he was a few weeks old, so loves being cuddles and have have snuggles with you on the bed or sofa, on the other hand my girly bun Piper isnt such a big fan of being held and will usally make a displeased grunt at me so i usally limit Piper to being picked up when being taken to and from the run.
Rabbits are hard work, and not as simple as people think. They go downhill very quick, and cost alot of money to treat. Hollis tummy stopped working the other night and it cost me 53 pound to get her sorted at the vets. Plus they require neutering to stop any accidental litters & uterine cancer in females. They also need vaccinating for Viral Hameoraging Disease and Mxyi every 6 month. I payed 53 for phoebes neuter,73 for pipers neuter, plus 30 each for all 4 of my buns to be vacced for VHD and myxi. Plus ive had a few emergency vet bills which have all come in roughly between 50 and 150 pound. Also flea treatments, it costs me about 20 pound for a pack of 5 advantage ones from the vets to treat ALL my buns.
Rabbits also need accomidation which allows them to practice thier rabbity habbits, such as running,thumping,binkying,digging. Alot of people are now using sheds and attaching runs as not many petshops provide a rabbit hutch which is actually big enough. These hutchs are fine if there out permantley during the day, ( i have one in my run, for them to play under and hide in) I payed 135 for the shed, 50 for the run (bit of a bargain) plus 55 for the indoor cage I have (which they live in for now but will keep it for emergencys)
Rabbits need a diet which is mainly hay, and should ideally be pellets, but mine refuse to eat it, so they get the food found mainly in petshops, (the coloured one) I spent about 20 on 2 giant bags of this a month, plus another 30 on hay and straw. They usally get make shift toys but I do have a few shop bought toys, which were a few pound each.
I have a combination of buns -big and large, rescue and pet shop bought and I love them all the same, though I do wish I had of known about rescues first. Fletcher is adopted and he is so friendly. The rescue can tell you what the rabbits personality is like, wat they like/dont like and any health problems. With a pet shop bought you dont have this advantage, as i found out... phoebe suffers with bouts of dioreha which have led to stasis a few times with him, the vet things this is may be because of his breed and because he is senstive to some foods. This generally costs me about 50 pound to put right everytime he ends up with Dioreha.
Rabbits are great pets to have - but are pricey and need time & love.

Back