• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit eye colours

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi i wasn't quite sure where to ask this but i was wondering about eye colours. One of my rabbits is a magpie harlequin (at least i think that is the correct colour pattern) He is "blue" and white and has the most weird colour eyes i have seen. Up close they look brownish but from further away they look two toned, blue on the outer part and grey on the inner part with a red glow. I know the red glow is common in white rabbits it is just how they can look brown and then further back look completely different that is baffling.

Does anyone know if that is just a rare but normal thing for a rabbit?

:wave: As long as he doesn't seem to be having any problems with his eyesight I'd think it's fine. Boris is part harlequin (grey and white) and his eyes sometimes have a red glow in them.

Part Harlequin? I don't understand what you mean by that?

Yes he's fine with his eye sight i just find the constant colour changes really strange. If it helps his parents are an opal and i'm not too sure on this but i think harlequin (or possibly fox? i'm not too sure, she is a redish colour). 3 of his siblings are harlequin as well (at least 2 i know for certain the other is similar to the mother). The other sibling is a chestnut agouti. They all have brown eyes apart from the opal who has grey (but can look brown from a distance).

I think part harlequin will mean he ahs broken white patches?
Silly rabbits Beau has part blue eyes, so I think it does occur but is not all that common.

Joshs' eyes are blue/grey aswell. They have been since he was a baby, and he is fine, and the vet isn't worried or anything.

Yes you're Josh is the same colour as my rabbit. Are his eyes blue on the outer part and grey inside? do they look brown up close sometimes as well?

My sisters rabbit has weird eyes too. One is light blue and the other is mainly brown but with a light blue streak in it.

My Jess has a brown eye with a streak of blue and a blue eye with a streak of brown :D

Cool at least they match (well you know what i mean). I was just wondering if anyone knows of somewhere i can go for rabbit gene help. I wanted to work out my rabbits genes. I know some defaults from the colour patterns i've seen on some websites but i'd like to fill in the blanks.

A-B-C-dd-E (Opal agouti) + A-B-C-D-ej (Black japanese harlequin) =

A_B_C_D_E_ (Chestnut agouti)

A_B_C_D_ej_ (Harlequin)

aaB_chdcd_ejd (Magpie Harlequin)

If anyone can help it'll be greatly appreciated. It's just out of interest. I know my opal is a carrier of a rare "C" gene.

Yes you're Josh is the same colour as my rabbit. Are his eyes blue on the outer part and grey inside? do they look brown up close sometimes as well?

My sisters rabbit has weird eyes too. One is light blue and the other is mainly brown but with a light blue streak in it.

Yep, I think it is the way they are coloured grey and whites, so obv, they have got lighter fur/skin to a brown and black bunny.
Jack x

Back