• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Loud tooth grinding but chilling out too? confused

MartinR

Warren Scout
Hi everyone:)

Im a bit confused about our bun at the moment.

The last couple of weeks I noticed he seems to be tooth grinding somewhat louder than usual, even when no one is stroking him etc. I read up on stasis etc and other potential issues, and checked him over and he doesnt seem to be injured or have any pain on his body

He's eating fine, still scrounging for treats ( a lot), drinking etc all normal, his tummy sounds normal, he's eating his cecatropes ok, and running round as usual

He grinds for a few seconds, then stops.. then maybe ten minutes later will do it again, then stops.. it's not a constant grind, just sort of on and off but quite loud, and even when no one is petting him.

but I can't sleep cuz he tooth grinds pretty loudly in the night, he sleeps in the corner of our bedroom.

I noticed he grinds a lot when he's actually asleep and twitching etc, but he will also chill out (the way buns do and look totally relaxed) but still grind his teeth loudly.

Also last night he was sitting kind of hunched, and grinding loudly and i though OMG, then he got up ran round for a bit, ran up the stairs, then came down the stairs 100 miles an hour and did a big massive binky right in front of us..soo Im confused..

He never used to grind that loudly, but he still binkying and chilling out etc as he's doing it?.. can anybody shed some light on it, as It hard to not to worry, but he gets soooooo stressed at the vets I don't want to take him unless its absoloutly neccesary or emergency etc.

the vet had checked his teeth a couple of weeks ago and said they were fine, but he was suffering from a watery eye, so was given Exocin drops, they didn't really seem to do much, and his eyes are still watery, some days better than others though, so gonna speak to the vet and see if there are any other types of drops available..

The vet did say its just an issue with some breeds, something to do with their eyelids turning slightly inwards irritating the eye, but then he said it stops as they get older?.. never heard of that?..

Anyway, hope this post makes sense, and thanks for any replies..

Martin

I would pop him back to see a vet, if his teeth are still fine then it may be indicating that there is pain elsewhere.

Hope you find out whats going on with the little man, keep us updated :wave:

how much hay is he given? He should have unlimited amt. of hay.

teeth grinding can be caused by:

-) weak genes, thus nervousness -- 1 of my bridge bun was like that her whole life, but not loud enough that I can hear

-) pain

-) need hay to grind down the growing of teeth

If his diet is fine, and the grinding just started recently, I would strongly recommend to go see a vet. It could be teeth growing upward into the jaw, and only an x-ray can see that

Hi Happy Hopping and Leanne,

Thanks for your replies, (I only just got to them).

Yea, his diet his fine and his appetite is normal, it's strange because everything I read about a rabbit experiencing pain etc, said they wont eat, or want treats, and can be very lethargic or reluctant to move but this doesnt seem to be the case with our bun, he's more or less normal and still binkies etc just the occasional grinding.

I heard him last night doing it and when I looked he was flopped out on his side, (like they do when theyre really chilled out sleeping and he was sort of suckling his paw which he's aways done, then he saw I was awake and looking at him and he bounced up and came running over GOD theyre soo cute..

but I hear this grinding noise, then expect to see him hunched, but he looks totally relaxed and chilled out (his normal chilling way) when I look at him, which is why I was kinda confused..

but Im worried so I guess a trip to the vets to be sure...:roll:

Do they have to be anethasised to be xrayed?

Thanks for your replies, and bunny vibes...I wouldl be lost without this place.

M

Last edited:
Back