• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Sugarplum

touie

Wise Old Thumper
Poor Sugarplum just fell in the pond, I feel terrible as I was using it to grow waterplants for the turtles so she probably couldn't have seen the water in there and she couldn't get out :cry: it was so lucky that I was there and heard her, she had managed to hang onto the side with her front paws but couldn't lift her back end out :cry: I have tried to dry her off as much as I could but she was getting all stressed so I have just left her in the shed to calm down

yeah she seems ok now thanks, must have been quite a shock though think i'll net it tomorrow

Aww, glad she's okay :D Might be an idea to add a shallow bit/ramp/shelf as its very common for hedgehogs to do the same thing and drown.

If you fit a net make sure its tight and can take the weight if they fall on it otherwise they still go in but the net wraps around them and they have no chance to get out :(

:shock: just seen this..oh my..hows she doing now? poor sugarplum:(

netting is ok unless you have a frenchie......

oooh wot about making a woodframe that overlaps the pond allowing it to be staked into the ground and putting mesh across it?
ive got some heavy duty green mesh for fencing..holesare about 1 " SQUARE BUT plastic...hhm perhaps not with her nosiness.:lol:

Aww, glad she's okay :D Might be an idea to add a shallow bit/ramp/shelf as its very common for hedgehogs to do the same thing and drown.

If you fit a net make sure its tight and can take the weight if they fall on it otherwise they still go in but the net wraps around them and they have no chance to get out :(

I don't think a hedgehog would fall in it's raised 2' above the ground, it's more of a water storage box than a pond. I think she must have stood up on her back legs seen the green plants and jumped in :( Maybe a net isn't such a good idea then but I am not sure what else to cover it with. I could possibly put the lid of an indoor rabbit cage over it but knowing Sugar that would entice her to jump on it :? I have had it in the garden since last year and she has always used it to drink out of, but I only put the plants in a few days ago when I dismantled the turtles pond as it is too cold out for them now!

awww, reminds me of when Jazz was curious to see what was over the 'blue barrier' and he jumped into the paddling pool, gave him a bit of a shock but he was ok and we saw the funny side to it afterwards.:lol:

shes as bad as bertie n willow...must be a frenchie thing you know...they do first think later and arent scared like average buns...
maybe if its something she could stand on itd be easier on oyu for now..soemthing like those wooden "duckboards" people have in their bathrooms but on a bigger scale! and reinforced! just thank oyur lucky stars shes not as big as willow but then maybe shed have bene bale to get out better or maybe not...ooh hwat about for temp measures go scouting for old wooden pallets join em together till the y cover the water?

but then the plants won't get any light so I might as well just pull the plug out. There must be a simple solution although she seems to be avoiding it today anyway :D

oops forgot bout plants...doh!:oops:

try putting up a barrier of a roll of chicken wire..anything to make her think..nah not worth it..but then knowing her shell want it even more:lol::lol:

what is it with frenchies..theyre nuts!

Back